Electric powered Shermans

  • Alan Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Something I received tonight sparked my interest and wondered if anyone has anything on this subject, look, design etc.

      Alan

      Got this from ShermanTankModeller site!

      This is an initial inquiry on behalf of my 85-year-old "father-in-law" who
      was an American tanker in Europe in WWII.

      While reminiscing the other day about his experience with American tanks he told me, not for the first time, about Sherman look-alikes that he saw being manufactured and test-driven in the American Mid-west while he was being trained for subsequent service in France and Germany in '44-'45.

      He has no access to computers, so I told him I would take a crack at finding out about the "electric" tanks he remembers seeing.

      He said he spoke to one of the test drivers of the "electric" tanks. He said the driver told him what they were and said the plant next door to the test track was turning out 9 tanks a day which were being "shipped out."

      My "father-in-law" says he never saw one in service in Europe, never heard of them again, and has never found anyone else who ever saw or heard of one.

      He said they "looked just like Shermans" and had a standard American gasoline engine driving some sort of electric turbine drive system. He said the tanks were very quiet and extremely manueverable.

      My guess is that the "electric tank" in the recent message was probably the
      T23 (from whence they got the T23 76mm turret). It had a
      engine-generator-motor arrangement. There were 250 made plus prototypes but it was not put into service because it was deemed too complex a system and used too much copper.