iwallace makes a good point re "I love a man..."

  • John Morse
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2003
      Very good point. I guess that's all I want to say. We
      gotta live with it for now, whatever groups we belong
      to. Just get used to deleting this junk.

      Acutally, about 2/3s of it gets caught by my Yahoo!
      bulk screener.

      John

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • vze1q3kp
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2003
        I use MailWasher, a very good program to get your email from your ISP. Once installed and setup, all you do is start MW, it then opens the familiar connection dialog, and once you're connected it downloads only INFO for each email (and a lot more info than most/any email programs will), not the emails themselves. You can then go down the list checking the info and marking emails you don't want for deletion (you can also add any email address to a blacklist and when any further emails with the same email address come in, they are automatically marked for deletion; you also can add email addresses to a friends list to always accept those messages). Once you've gone over the email info, you then click a button in the program to process the emails, which simply deletes the ones marked for deletion, and then you click another button which opens your email program and then the emails you want are downloaded into the email program.

        I have been using this program for well over a year now, and I never download email using my email program anymore. Originally they had a free version (it was fully functional--there was a small window at the top of the program window which urged you to pay for the program which would get rid of that window, but it is not very intrusive). I liked the program so much I paid the $20 for it. They have an improved version now that is a little more expensive but I have not tried it as I'm happy with what I have.

        It also will spot viruses in emails (it has actually caught some that my anti-virus software didn't). And it has a "bounce" feature that if you mark emails for bouncing, the original email message will be sent back (from your email box at your ISP) to the sender as if the email address it was sent to (your email address) was bad. Obviously such bouncing only works if the email was sent from a legitimate email address, but some spammers use phony addresses or even someone else's legitimate email address. I have stopped using this feature, however; I get very little spam, possibly in part because of using the bounce feature for over a year, but also because recently I dropped my dial-up ISP; I had installed Verizon DSL last January (if you can get DSL, go for it--you will never regret it--and I had no trouble installing it myself with Verizon's kit). I had my dial-up ISP for several years (a local Vermont-based company; before that I used AOL and the spam I got there was unreal--literally 99% of my email was spam). Spam with my dial-up ISP was getting way out of hand--and a lot of it was due to spammers spamming everyone on that ISP but they didn't actually need to have everyone's actual email address (another way to determine spam is checking on the email address that it is being sent to--you should see your exact email address--even a slight variation means it is almost certainly spam; the exception is if you subscribe to email newsletters or lists, many will use their email address in the send to rather than have to insert each member/subscriber's actual email address, but you should know the ones you belong to anyway). Since I switched to using DSL only, my spam rate has dropped to only a handful of spams a day--literally a half-dozen or less. One possible explanation might be that I rarely use my Verizon email address for anything; I use the email address that is based on my business web site (doing so eliminates the problem of having to keep telling all my contacts my new email address every time I switch ISPs, as my web site URL and email address will always be the same no matter what ISP I use).

        And, finally, never, ever, EVER respond in any way to any unsolicited email. Don't open it, don't respond to it (even if they have an "unsubscribe" line in it--this only verifies they have a legitimate email address and you'll get spammed mercilessly), don't go to their web site (by entering the URL manually in your browser, even if there is an actual web site) just to "check it out" because even if you don't buy anything, that just encourages them that their message is getting people to look--and they might have some virus or something ready to infect your computer if you go to their web site.

        I never use spam blockers because they are too untrustworthy--they don't catch all the real spam and they can mark legitimate emails as spam to often (even MailWasher, which also tries to catch possible spam and mark it, tends to mark more legitimate emails as spam and rarely catches the real spam, so I ignore the program's spam labeling feature--recently a message from G104 was labeled as spam, no doubt some word in the message triggered MailWasher's spam feature). It's easier for me to go through the info in MailWasher and decide on an item by item basis. After a while it becomes second-nature to do this using MW and it takes hardly any time at all (and get hundreds of emails a day at times).

        Sorry for the overlong post (and not exactly on topic) but it seems like the recent spamming of this list has become a hot topic and I just wanted to add my experiences and how I solved the problem.

        Sincerely,
        Ray Merriam, Owner
        Merriam Press
        WWII Military History Publisher