Re: 76M Shells for Sherman

  • WhiteWolf
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2003
      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "rrunnersb" <rrunnersb@y...> wrote:
      > Does any body know where I can located a complete
      > 76M shell (dummy) for display.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jim

      Try eBay. I've seen a few drift across the sales there.

      Another option is a metal repro (100% dud). Marstar up
      here in Ontario Canada makes some dummies for movies,
      and may be able to supply you with one.

      I inquired about 1/16 scale replicas, but no-one ever
      got back to me. Anyone with a lathe wanna try? I only
      need one metal master of each for making a master-mold.

      WhiteWolf
      Sherman owner, but in small scale (1/16, 1/35 & 1/72)
    • binder5295
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2003
        Safest and most legal route is to look for 76mm Drill Rounds. The Drill Round is a full size, solid metal repro of the cannon shell and
        casing, adjusted to weigh the same as a loaded 76mm round. They are a dark bronze color (at least the two that I have seen). There
        is one in the collection of the Nebraska National Guard Museum (I think it's still there, my family donated one about 20 years ago).
        The other was property of a fellow reenactor back in the 70's. So they are out there, keep looking.

        Point of legality - remember in the US a "live" 76mm round would need to have a lot of paperwork (and may be illegal).
      • Richard Isner
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2003
          Hello,

          You may wish to contact the folks at the Virginia Museum of
          Military Vehicles. We have several vehicles that have 76mm guns and I
          believe we have a large number of turned rounds to fill ammo racks for
          appearence. Contact them through VMMV.org.

          In an unrelated note, Tankvideo.com has just produced and release
          the The Sherman: An Amrican Legend-Volume II. The video tape runs about
          55 minutes and features new footage of the following vehicles....the M3
          Lee and Grant from the VMMV, Sherman M4A3 with a 75mm gun, M4A1 with a
          75mm gun (both Canadian Grizzly and U.S.), M4A1 with a 76mm gun (both
          HVSS and VVSS), the M36 Jackson and some great footage the Sherman BARV
          (Beach Armored Recovery Vehicle), along with footage of 105mm
          howitzer-armed M4 and M7 Priest. The tape is going to be $24.95...but
          until 10 December I am offering the tape for an even 20 dollars, sent
          via first class mail. E-mail me at Tankboy1@... for further
          details or to order. Thank you

          Sincerely,
          Richard Isner

          binder5295 wrote:
          > Safest and most legal route is to look for 76mm Drill Rounds. The Drill Round is a full size, solid metal repro of the cannon shell and
          > casing, adjusted to weigh the same as a loaded 76mm round. They are a dark bronze color (at least the two that I have seen). There
          > is one in the collection of the Nebraska National Guard Museum (I think it's still there, my family donated one about 20 years ago).
          > The other was property of a fellow reenactor back in the 70's. So they are out there, keep looking.
          >
          > Point of legality - remember in the US a "live" 76mm round would need to have a lot of paperwork (and may be illegal).

          > **Please trim your replies**
          > **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
          > **Plain ASCII Text only please**
          > **Attachments will be stripped**

        • WhiteWolf
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2003
            On a similar note...

            I'm looking for scaled drawings of assorted WW2 tank
            rounds. By scaled I mean the artwork has an inset
            scale in either SAE or metric. The rounds I need data
            on are as follows:

            US 76mm & 105mm for M4 Sherman
            US 90mm rounds for M36 Jackson
            German 88mm L/56 for Tiger 1
            German 88mm L/71 for King Tiger

            Online references will be ok (provided the reference
            site does not requite a membership, such as Janes')
            or scanned & uploaded images from publications and/or
            documents.

            Photographs aren't good due to the optical distortion
            caused by the lens (and rarely inset scale)

            Why do I need them? I'm having someone machine me some
            1/16 master-rounds (solid/dummy) for my models. Before
            someone mentions Verlinden (or other sources) I have
            found the cast reproductions to be rather poor.

            Respectfully,
            WhiteWolf
          • KC Kudra
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
              Have you tried the R.P. Hunnicutt book I'm not sure if it's in there but it
              is a wealth of info. I have been able to get it on occasion on an intra
              library loan.

              You might want to check this site out they sell used dummy rounds. I didn't
              see the 76mm but he might be able to get his hands on one for you or at
              least be able to steer you in the right direction. Found this on a web
              search on Yahoo.

              http://oldguns.net/cgi-bin/f2f/f2f.pl?http://oldguns.net/catho.htm

              Regards,
              Ken Kudra
              mailto:kc@...
              http://www.thenoblehaus.com
              Thenoblehaus where museum quality miniatures come to life!