Re: [G104] Valentine DDs

  • peter BROWN
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
      Valentine DD were used for training, including some by American units which
      took part in the D Day landings. A few were used in Italy in 1945.
      The Studland Bay ones were lost on 4th April 1944 when six tanks of C
      Squadron, 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards were swamped and sank in a sudden
      bout of bad weather during a training exercise. Six of the crews were
      drowned though luckily the remaining men survived.
      The vehicle being restored sounds like that belonging to John Pearson, it
      was bought some years ago and is being steadily restored.
    • ceolredmonger
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2003
        Here is a link from another dive site

        http://www.jacksac.freeserve.co.uk/valentine_tanks.htm

        Keith
      • jhnv82527
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
          I had never hear of Valentine DDs before, only Shermans. Any comments?
          > Cheers,
          > Len
          Hello group: I have just joined. Posts of 20 Oct about Valentine DD
          survivor are confirmed, it is mine. First public appearance planned
          for April 2004. It will be on exhibition at Bovington alongside
          Sherman DD for most of period April to July with a few days out so if
          you want to travel to compare the two, please check it has not
          temporarily left for a demonstration elsewhere.
          John Pearson