Re: [G104] Valentine DDs

  • vmmv1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
      There is a valentine DD being restored, should be at Beltring next year.
    • peter BROWN
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
        Valentine DD were used for training, including some by American units which
        took part in the D Day landings. A few were used in Italy in 1945.
        The Studland Bay ones were lost on 4th April 1944 when six tanks of C
        Squadron, 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards were swamped and sank in a sudden
        bout of bad weather during a training exercise. Six of the crews were
        drowned though luckily the remaining men survived.
        The vehicle being restored sounds like that belonging to John Pearson, it
        was bought some years ago and is being steadily restored.
      • ceolredmonger
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2003
          Here is a link from another dive site

          http://www.jacksac.freeserve.co.uk/valentine_tanks.htm

          Keith
        • jhnv82527
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
            I had never hear of Valentine DDs before, only Shermans. Any comments?
            > Cheers,
            > Len
            Hello group: I have just joined. Posts of 20 Oct about Valentine DD
            survivor are confirmed, it is mine. First public appearance planned
            for April 2004. It will be on exhibition at Bovington alongside
            Sherman DD for most of period April to July with a few days out so if
            you want to travel to compare the two, please check it has not
            temporarily left for a demonstration elsewhere.
            John Pearson