Re: [G104] NY Sherman seized?

  • Russ Morgan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2003
      Kurt, you can't just leave us hanging about that seizure. Please get the
      details of how and why the gov't seized a privately owned tank. Thanks
      Russ Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2003
        From: "Russ Morgan" <morganru@...>

        > Kurt, you can't just leave us hanging about that seizure. Please get the
        > details of how and why the gov't seized a privately owned tank.

        That's about all the info I have Russ. I think there was mention that the
        stuff was illegally held (not "privately owned"), probably former VFW/AL
        display items.

        KL
      • Joseph DeMarco
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
          I vaguely recall a newspaper article about a seizure up near Buffalo.
          IIRC, it was reported that some historic AFVs had been "loaned" to a
          collector by the government in order for him establish a military museum.
          A number of years went by, but the museum never opened to the public.
          A few years back, the gov't. repossessed them & took them to Fort Drum for storage.
          I didn't get the impression from Charles Lemons that there was a Sherman involved -
          so that might be something "new."
          The M4A3(76)HVSS that is/was on display at the Museum at Fort Drum is S/N 66080
          in case that's the one going to Watervliet.

          The Museum at Picatinny Arsenal in NJ must have been closed, recently.
          There are now a lot of ammo displays & docs from Picatinny in one of the
          storage buildings at APG. I once saw a Sherman with dozer fittings at Picatinny,
          & asked one of the APG Museum guys if it had also come to APG.
          He didn't seem to know anything about it.
          Wherever it went, it is another M4A3(76)HVSS, S/N 60038.
          It is fairly distinctive with the dozer fittings on the glacis.

          Joe
        • panzerdrv
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
            I am not sure if a Sherman was seized but I can ask around and see if
            anyone spoted one. We confiscated a bunch armored vehicles like 2
            M60s, M48, M88, M113s, M110, M42 and other things. Most of the stuff
            got hauled out and I think they went to Ft.Drum but we still have the
            M60s, M48, and the M42. Hope this might help some. Mark

            --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph DeMarco" <snick1@e...> wrote:
            > I vaguely recall a newspaper article about a seizure up near
            Buffalo.
            > IIRC, it was reported that some historic AFVs had been "loaned" to a
            > collector by the government in order for him establish a military
            museum.
            > A number of years went by, but the museum never opened to the
            public.
            > A few years back, the gov't. repossessed them & took them to Fort
            Drum for storage.
            > I didn't get the impression from Charles Lemons that there was a
            Sherman involved -
            > so that might be something "new."
            > The M4A3(76)HVSS that is/was on display at the Museum at Fort Drum
            is S/N 66080
            > in case that's the one going to Watervliet.
            >
            > The Museum at Picatinny Arsenal in NJ must have been closed,
            recently.
            > There are now a lot of ammo displays & docs from Picatinny in one
            of the
            > storage buildings at APG. I once saw a Sherman with dozer fittings
            at Picatinny,
            > & asked one of the APG Museum guys if it had also come to APG.
            > He didn't seem to know anything about it.
            > Wherever it went, it is another M4A3(76)HVSS, S/N 60038.
            > It is fairly distinctive with the dozer fittings on the glacis.
            >
            > Joe
          • Bob Smart
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2003
              --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph DeMarco" <snick1@e...> wrote:

              > The Museum at Picatinny Arsenal in NJ must have been closed,
              recently.
              > There are now a lot of ammo displays & docs from Picatinny in one
              of the
              > storage buildings at APG. I once saw a Sherman with dozer fittings
              at Picatinny,
              > & asked one of the APG Museum guys if it had also come to APG.
              > He didn't seem to know anything about it.

              Joe

              I volunteer at Aberdeen ( I was helping inventory the boxes received
              from Picatinny a few months back.) Ed Heasly the Curator told me they
              were supposed to get a Sherman from Picatinney. As I recall they had
              to get bids on moving it and some other administrative stuff done.
              I'll check on the status next time I talk to him

              Bob Smart (bsmart@...)