Re: [g104] m4a2 in owen sound

  • Joseph DeMarco
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9 6:02 AM
      Hi Mike

      I'm afraid I don't know how long the Sherman at the main gate at the
      Meaford Tank Range has been there. I saw it in 1999, & Canada seems
      to be downsizing its military, so the base may have since been closed.
      I like to record the serial numbers when possible, because some display
      Shermans do get moved around over the years.
      That one was noted as S/N 65008.
      It had an unusual feature - a little platform on the glacis in front of the driver's
      hatch. Maybe you or Ross Gibbons recall if that was present on the one
      in the waterfront park in the town of Meaford?

      In Halifax, it's been reported that there is a Sherman named "Hellfire" at the
      Armouries just below Citadel Hill.
      It is probably another M4A2(76)HVSS. Perhaps you could visit it sometime
      & check the rear tow lugs & the diff. housing for the serial number?

      Most M4A2(76)HVSS's were built by Fisher, but Pressed Steel Car
      also built 21 of them before production was terminated.
      Quite a number of this type have survived & are on display throughout Canada.
      I'm kinda hoping one of the PSCs will turn up.
      They would have the highest serial numbers assigned to any Shermans -
      in the 76xxx range.

    • Geoff Winnington-Ball
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9 6:24 AM
        Joseph DeMarco wrote:

        > Hi Mike
        >
        > I'm afraid I don't know how long the Sherman at the main gate at the
        > Meaford Tank Range has been there. I saw it in 1999, & Canada seems
        > to be downsizing its military, so the base may have since been closed.

        Hi Joe,

        For decades, CFB Meaford was simply a militia training area, but some
        years ago, the Regs took it over, spent millions on new barracks and
        facilities, and now use it themselves for general field training in all
        disciplines (militia regiments still train there as well). It's not
        going down anytime soon, because with Borden closed for field training,
        Meaford is all there is until you get to Pet. That Sherman and Centurion
        will be there forever, I'm sure.

        I still want to know what happened to that complete, untouched Ram which
        disappeared off one of the old disused ranges about five years ago. I
        did a foot recce a couple of years ago with another officer who had had
        his picture taken on top of it... we couldn't find a trace of it in
        three grid squares. No one has been able to tell me if it had been
        expended on the rocket range, either. Strange.

        Geoff Winnington-Ball
        MAPLE LEAF UP! ==>
        London, Ontario, Canada
        Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2
        http://www.mapleleafup.org
        <sunray@...>
        1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment
        http://www.1cacr.org