40-45 Museum, Arnhem

  • Royall, Tim
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 1999
      I visited the 40-45 Museum at Arnhem yesterday (4/7) and they have a new
      (to me) M4A1 76mm (HVSS) outside. It is missing a few roadwheels but
      otherwise complete with an engine and a perfectly preserved comb! It
      actually belongs to one of the volunteers who helps run the place and he
      hopes to have a german tank soon, although the staff didn't know what.

      Other items on display in an excellent museum are a GMC, 25 pdr, 20mm
      Oerlikon, 17 pdr barrel, armoured train pill box, Kettengrad, Opel
      truck, numerous bikes and a host of wheels, tracks, and other things dug
      up from the local area. I took some photos so if anyones interested I
      can try and get them on the list or Hannos site.

      Tim,
    • Royall, Tim
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 1999
        Following my last post I forgot something "Sherman"!

        In the 1950's, an Hanno can probably give the full story, a number of
        Rams and Sherman Fireflys were stripped of their running gear and dug in
        in an extended line in the north of Holland to act as a form of defence
        line during the cold war. Engine compartments were also stripped and
        these formed a sort of access tunnel for the crews once dug in. A number
        of Fireflys were grouped around a Ram CP. Recently a number were dug up
        and the museum is acquiring one with the idea that it will be completely
        accessible and allow people to get in it to get a feel of being in a
        tank!

        Some photos were in the Dutch press last year and a Ram was shown in
        Wheels and Tracks some time ago.
      • Dag Sundkuist
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 1999
          >Following my last post I forgot something "Sherman"!
          >
          >In the 1950's, an Hanno can probably give the full story, a number of
          >Rams and Sherman Fireflys were stripped of their running gear and dug in
          >in an extended line in the north of Holland to act as a form of defence
          >line during the cold war. Engine compartments were also stripped and
          >these formed a sort of access tunnel for the crews once dug in. A number
          >of Fireflys were grouped around a Ram CP. Recently a number were dug up
          >and the museum is acquiring one with the idea that it will be completely
          >accessible and allow people to get in it to get a feel of being in a
          >tank!
          >
          >Some photos were in the Dutch press last year and a Ram was shown in
          >Wheels and Tracks some time ago.

          Hello Tim ,

          Thanks for the Sherman info , sometimes the AFV enthusiasts and the fortifcations
          enthusiasts meets - - - . The use of old tank turrets / including the use whole tank dug
          in / concrete in is interesting area . There is a some fortification links on these Sherman
          Firefly / Ram post- war turrets used by the Dutch to defend the dams in the Issjel - line .
          There are two good Dutch books on the of this topic . But Hanno have more details .

          Dag S