histoty of a shermanM4A1 76(W)

  • yaris12003 <yaris12003@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2003
      gentlemen,
      I am working for the royal army museum Brussels.
      One of our army tank batalions is restoring a shermanM4A176
      (W).
      They would like to know about its history; They found following
      numbers: front nose 661-58548, also a nr ARD 3904 and on top
      of the turret D 82081 U. They are putting it in running order and a
      file on its history would add to the restoration quality
      Can anyone help?
      1BC Testaert,Belgian Army
    • Joseph DeMarco
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2003
        >I am working for the royal army museum Brussels.
        >One of our army tank batalions is restoring a M4A176.
        >They would like to know about its history;
        >They are putting it in running order and a file on its history
        >would add to the restoration quality
        >Can anyone help?
        >1BC Testaert,Belgian Army

        Sir,
        Tracing the history of an individual Sherman tank is a bit like
        trying to find a needle in a haystack.
        If your tank is an M4A1(76) with VVSS, it's probably a safe bet to state
        it was manufactured by Pressed Steel Car Co. in Chicago in 1944.
        If it still has its original dataplate, you can at least determine
        the US Serial & Registration Number, & narrow the build date down
        to the month.
        Most tanks have usually been repainted a lot over the years,
        but sometimes when they sit out for a long time, the paint wears away
        & exposes the original tactical markings.
        If you can find any evidence of such markings, that might help to
        detemine a bit of the history of your Sherman.

        If you come across the US Serial or Registration Number, or a
        British or French WD Number, please post the info.
        Some of us collect data, culled from historic photos & documents,
        on individual Shermans, & there is a small chance that your tank
        might be listed in one of the databases.

        Does your M4A1(76) have VVSS & a 3-piece differential housing?

        Good luck with your project,

        Joe
      • Alain Bervoets
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
          Hi Testaert,

          Could it be possible to know on what stages of restoring the M4A1 is ?
          When will we have the chance to see it (for the public, I Mean) ?
          I know also that a SD251 was restored sometime ago. Is it already on display
          ?
          Are there other treasures to be released in the Royal Army Museum ?

          I know these are a lot of questions, but thanks for answering them.

          Alain
          Brussels

          > >I am working for the royal army museum Brussels.
          > >One of our army tank batalions is restoring a M4A176.
          > >They would like to know about its history;
          > >They are putting it in running order and a file on its history
          > >would add to the restoration quality
          > >Can anyone help?
          > >1BC Testaert,Belgian Army
        • bill testaert
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
            --- Alain Bervoets <abervoets@...> wrote:
            > Hi Testaert,
            >
            > Could it be possible to know on what stages of
            > restoring the M4A1 is ?
            > When will we have the chance to see it (for the
            > public, I Mean) ?
            > I know also that a SD251 was restored sometime ago.
            > Is it already on display
            > ?
            > Are there other treasures to be released in the
            > Royal Army Museum ?
            >
            > I know these are a lot of questions, but thanks for
            > answering them.
            >
            > Alain
            > Brussels

            this tnk is stationed at the at the 1st lansiers and
            is restored for the museum of La Roche who has it on
            long loan from us.
            It will be a runner but wait and see.
            Our volunteers maintain a sherman M4 76mm and a 105 mm
            howitser.We are also restoring a firefly with
            multibank engine.
            Hope to haer from you again,Bill

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com
          • bill testaert
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
              --- Joseph DeMarco <snick1@...> wrote:
              > >I am working for the royal army museum Brussels.
              > >One of our army tank batalions is restoring a
              > M4A176.
              > >They would like to know about its history;
              > >They are putting it in running order and a file on
              > its history
              > >would add to the restoration quality
              > >Can anyone help?
              > >1BC Testaert,Belgian Army
              >
              > Sir,
              > Tracing the history of an individual Sherman tank is
              > a bit like
              > trying to find a needle in a haystack.
              > If your tank is an M4A1(76) with VVSS, it's probably
              > a safe bet to state
              > it was manufactured by Pressed Steel Car Co. in
              > Chicago in 1944.
              > If it still has its original dataplate, you can at
              > least determine
              > the US Serial & Registration Number, & narrow the
              > build date down
              > to the month.
              > Most tanks have usually been repainted a lot over
              > the years,
              > but sometimes when they sit out for a long time, the
              > paint wears away
              > & exposes the original tactical markings.
              > If you can find any evidence of such markings, that
              > might help to
              > detemine a bit of the history of your Sherman.
              >
              > If you come across the US Serial or Registration
              > Number, or a
              > British or French WD Number, please post the info.
              > Some of us collect data, culled from historic photos
              > & documents,
              > on individual Shermans, & there is a small chance
              > that your tank
              > might be listed in one of the databases.
              >
              > Does your M4A1(76) have VVSS & a 3-piece
              > differential housing?
              >
              > Good luck with your project,
              >
              > Joe
              > Sir,
              It is indeed a "big job"
              My info was not complete since I am working in our
              workshop and not used to do this,I was more ordred to
              look around what I could find.
              I will pass your info to the bataillon who works on
              the tank and see what I can get
              Thanks again,Bill

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com
            • bill testaert
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
                  --- Joseph DeMarco <snick1@...> wrote:
                  > >I am working for the royal army museum Brussels.
                  > >One of our army tank batalions is restoring a
                  > M4A176.
                  > >They would like to know about its history;
                  > >They are putting it in running order and a file on
                  > its history
                  > >would add to the restoration quality
                  > >Can anyone help?
                  > >1BC Testaert,Belgian Army
                  >
                  > Sir,
                  > Tracing the history of an individual Sherman tank is
                  > a bit like
                  > trying to find a needle in a haystack.
                  > If your tank is an M4A1(76) with VVSS, it's probably
                  > a safe bet to state
                  > it was manufactured by Pressed Steel Car Co. in
                  > Chicago in 1944.
                  > If it still has its original dataplate, you can at
                  > least determine
                  > the US Serial & Registration Number, & narrow the
                  > build date down
                  > to the month.
                  > Most tanks have usually been repainted a lot over
                  > the years,
                  > but sometimes when they sit out for a long time, the
                  > paint wears away
                  > & exposes the original tactical markings.
                  > If you can find any evidence of such markings, that
                  > might help to
                  > detemine a bit of the history of your Sherman.
                  >
                  > If you come across the US Serial or Registration
                  > Number, or a
                  > British or French WD Number, please post the info.
                  > Some of us collect data, culled from historic photos
                  > & documents,
                  > on individual Shermans, & there is a small chance
                  > that your tank
                  > might be listed in one of the databases.
                  >
                  > Does your M4A1(76) have VVSS & a 3-piece
                  > differential housing?
                  >
                  > Good luck with your project,
                  >
                  > Joe
                  > Sir,
                  It is indeed a "big job"
                  My info was not complete since I am working in our
                  workshop and not used to do this,I was more ordred to
                  look around what I could find.
                  I will pass your info to the bataillon who works on
                  the tank and see what I can get
                  Thanks again,Bill

                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                • André Flener
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
                    Re: "this tank is stationed at the at the 1st lansiers and is restored for the museum of
                    La Roche who has it on long loan from us. It will be a runner but wait and see."

                    Dear Bill,

                    is this tank the M4A1(76)W with VVSS wreck once on display at the now defunct warmuseum
                    in Aywaille?

                    La Roche-en-Ardennes already has its former M10 17pdr SP. It was restored (only to
                    static condition) by the Belgian Army at nearby barracks - the mentioned "1st lansiers",
                    I wonder?

                    Regards,
                    André
                  • bill testaert
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 7, 2003
                      --- Andr�_Flener <flener@...> wrote:
                      > Re: "this tank is stationed at the at the 1st
                      > lansiers and is restored for the museum of
                      > La Roche who has it on long loan from us. It will be
                      > a runner but wait and see."
                      >
                      > Dear Bill,
                      >
                      > is this tank the M4A1(76)W with VVSS wreck once on
                      > display at the now defunct warmuseum
                      > in Aywaille?
                      >
                      > La Roche-en-Ardennes already has its former M10
                      > 17pdr SP. It was restored (only to
                      > static condition) by the Belgian Army at nearby
                      > barracks - the mentioned "1st lansiers",
                      > I wonder?
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Andr�
                      >
                      > Andr�
                      Sorry to answer so late but yes it is the sherman from
                      La-Roche,do you know something about it?
                      Tanker greetings
                      Bill Testaert

                      http://platinum.yahoo.com
                    • bill testaert
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 7, 2003
                        --- Alain Bervoets <abervoets@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Testaert,
                        >
                        > Could it be possible to know on what stages of
                        > restoring the M4A1 is ?
                        > When will we have the chance to see it (for the
                        > public, I Mean) ?
                        > I know also that a SD251 was restored sometime ago.
                        > Is it already on display
                        > ?
                        > Are there other treasures to be released in the
                        > Royal Army Museum ?
                        >
                        > I know these are a lot of questions, but thanks for
                        > answering them.
                        >
                        > Alain
                        > Brussels

                        be a cosmetical restoration and the tank will return
                        to the museum of La Roche. Our museum did obtain a SD
                        251 but is not planned to be restored yet. You can
                        visit our depot at Kapellen near antwerp on june 15
                        when we plan to have an open-door.
                        Tankergreetings
                        Bill Testaert

                        http://platinum.yahoo.com
                      • André Flener
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 7, 2003
                          > Sorry to answer so late but yes it is the sherman from
                          > La-Roche,do you know something about it?
                          > Tanker greetings
                          > Bill Testaert

                          Dear Bill,

                          unfortunately, I don't know this tank's history! I can just recall seeing it sitting in
                          front of the former museum in Aywaille... Back then, it was a very rusty hull without
                          running gear - most likely a range wreck. Glad to hear it's now restored to a better
                          shape!

                          Did you already get in touch with the people from the "Château Dieupart" in Aywaille?
                          Perhaps someone will remember from where they got that tank.

                          BTW, Aywaille nowadays:
                          http://ardenn44.free.fr/page19.html

                          Regards,
                          André
                        • bill testaert
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 14, 2003
                            --- Andr�_Flener <flener@...> wrote:
                            > > Sorry to answer so late but yes it is the sherman
                            > from
                            > > La-Roche,do you know something about it?
                            > > Tanker greetings
                            > > Bill Testaert
                            >
                            > Dear Bill,
                            >
                            > unfortunately, I don't know this tank's history! I
                            > can just recall seeing it sitting in
                            > front of the former museum in Aywaille... Back then,
                            > it was a very rusty hull without
                            > running gear - most likely a range wreck. Glad to
                            > hear it's now restored to a better
                            > shape!
                            >
                            > Did you already get in touch with the people from
                            > the "Ch�teau Dieupart" in Aywaille?
                            > Perhaps someone will remember from where they got
                            > that tank.
                            >
                            > BTW, Aywaille nowadays:
                            > http://ardenn44.free.fr/page19.html
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Andr�
                            > Andr�,
                            thanks for the tip ,I will try to check
                            Tankergreetings
                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 14, 2003
                              > thanks for the tip ,I will try to check

                              Bill, please read Hanno's remark:

                              (G104 message # 3768)

                              He confirmed my "ex-Belgian range wreck" assumption.

                              (Light & Medium)Tankergreetings,

                              André