Happy New Year - and the M4A2... :)

  • wwwpanserdk <panser@panser.dk>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      One thing thats been buggin me for a while....

      In a TM for the M36B2 I noticed that the generators appear to have
      been removed from the engine (in the M10 they reach into the fighting
      compartment) and replaced by a generator on the transmission housing
      as in late production Shermans of different types (starting early
      1944?). As the M36B2s were rebuilds of the M10, would this not
      require a new transmission housing...?

      Also, I suppose something similar would have happened sometime during
      M4A2 production perhaps with the introduction of the 47degree front
      hull...?

      It would seem that the new location for the generator on the rear of
      the transmission was a change made to all Shermans in production in
      1944, but I am not sure about that..?

      Claus B
    • Mike Canaday
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        On the later M4, M4A1, & M4A3s the generators were run off of the drive shaft just behind the transmission, not actually on the transmission. The generator was mounted on a cast bracket that was bolted to the rear face of the transmission casting. I imagine the same thing was done to the M10 when converted to M36B2. It may very well have required a new transmission, which in turn may have required a new final drive.

        Mike Canaday
        One thing thats been buggin me for a while....

        In a TM for the M36B2 I noticed that the generators appear to have
        been removed from the engine (in the M10 they reach into the fighting
        compartment) and replaced by a generator on the transmission housing
        as in late production Shermans of different types (starting early
        1944?). As the M36B2s were rebuilds of the M10, would this not
        require a new transmission housing...?

        Also, I suppose something similar would have happened sometime during
        M4A2 production perhaps with the introduction of the 47degree front
        hull...?

        It would seem that the new location for the generator on the rear of
        the transmission was a change made to all Shermans in production in
        1944, but I am not sure about that..?

        Claus B

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        **Please trim your replies**
        **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
        **Plain ASCII Text only please**
        **Attachments will be stripped**