Re: [G104] Re: "Hatch in Hull Floor for Anti-Mine Shackle Gear."

  • jimweb@endgame.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2002
      From: "Joseph DeMarco" <snick1@e...>

      > The most interesting difference mentioned in the Military Attache
      > Report is:
      > "Hatch in Hull Floor for Anti-Mine Shackle Gear."
      > Of course, there's no description of "Anti-Mine Shackle Gear" ??
      > In any case, there IS a small hatch at the feet of the bow gunner
      > on a number of surviving Grizzlys.
      > It's probably on all of them & could serve as a recognition
      > feature.

      IIRC the 'Anti Mine Shackle Device' was a cover name for the CIRD.

      --
      TTFN
      Jim
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2002
        Okay, novice question here..... is this "anti-mine gear" hatch
        another hatch in addition to the crew's escape hatch by the
        bow-gunner's position? (I'm guessing that the Grizzly's had
        this hatch as well.....) And that it was in front of the regular
        escape hatch?

        Just wondering!

        Jerry
      • AndrĂ© Flener
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2002
          Hi Jerry,

          re: "Okay, novice question here..... is this "anti-mine gear" hatch another
          hatch in addition to the crew's escape hatch by the bow-gunner's position?
          (I'm guessing that the Grizzly's had this hatch as well.....) And that it
          was in front of the regular escape hatch?"

          yes, because the escape hatch is located directly behind the co-driver's
          seat and it drops to the ground when opened, so not very useful for the
          anti-mine attaching process! With that hinged "special purpose hatch" in
          front of him, the co-driver could probably stay in his seat to do this job.

          Regards,
          André
        • Tanker06@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2002