M32's ...

  • cdn_white_wolf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
      I agree ... I hope the 4 pieces that M32 is in means dis-assembly ,
      not hacked up .

      Anyone know if the US ever use any of the HVSS'd units for the M32
      rig ?

      I ask because I'm thinking of turning one of my radio control M4's
      into an M32 , and want to know if its gonna be more 'what if' than
      reality . The issued kit is an M4(105) HVSS with late glacis -
      http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/56014sherman/sherman.htm .

      Thanks guys .
      WhiteWolf McBride
    • André Flener
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi WhiteWolf,

        re: "Anyone know if the US ever use any of the HVSS'd units for the M32 rig
        ?"

        HVSS equipped M32's have an "A1" addition in the middle of their
        designation:
        - M32A1B1 [based on M4A1 hull]
        - M32A1B3 [based on M4A3 hull w/ early 58° glacis]

        (As far as I know, the M32 [based on M4 hull w/ early 58° glacis] and the
        M32B2 [based on M4A2 hull] weren't modified with HVSS.)

        Quotations:
        - "In August 1944, U.S.M.C. requested 50 M32B3s, equipped with the
        horizontal volute suspension system (HVSS). The pilot models were designated
        T14E1 and production models M32A1xx."
        - "Starting in March 1945, Baldwin Locomotive Works and International
        Harvester Company converted 80 M32B3's to M32A1B3's."
        - "Starting in May 1945, Baldwin Locomotive Works converted 37 M32B1's to
        M32A1B1's."

        Sources (with technical data, etc. as well):
        http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/trvm32.html
        http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/dimi_labada/M32/M32_ARV_UK.htm

        Re: "I ask because I'm thinking of turning one of my radio control M4's
        into an M32 , and want to know if its gonna be more 'what if' than
        reality . The issued kit is an M4(105) HVSS with late glacis."

        The 47° glacis and the rear deck & overhang of the late M4 hull are the main
        problems: If you want to have a original-looking M32A1B3 (The only welded
        hull M32 with HVSS), you need to alter the glacis to 58° (with two new
        hoods) and the rear part of your model to a Ford V8 GAA engine propelled
        M4A3's rear!

        Here are good detail shots of a preserved M32A1B3:
        http://www.clandavidsonusa.com/wac/afvphotos/us/m32b1/m32arv.htm

        Or, if you are willing to cheat a little bit with the rear, then you could
        also create a M74 TRV [based on M4A3 w/ late 47° glacis]! But, that would be
        more work and representing a postwar tank...

        Hope this helps!

        Regards,
        André

        PS: The 1:16 scale model prototype for a M4(105) based M32A1:
        http://www.bayareatankers.org/freddorn.htm
      • cdn_white_wolf
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
          --- In G104@y..., André Flener <flener@p...> wrote:
          > Hi WhiteWolf,
          >
          >> re: "Anyone know if the US ever use any of the
          >> HVSS'd units for the M32 rig ?"
          >
          > HVSS equipped M32's have an "A1" addition in the
          > middle of their designation:
          > - M32A1B1 [based on M4A1 hull]
          > - M32A1B3 [based on M4A3 hull w/ early 58° glacis]
          >
          > (As far as I know, the M32 [based on M4 hull w/ early
          > 58° glacis] and the M32B2 [based on M4A2 hull] weren't
          > modified with HVSS.)
          >
          > Quotations:
          > - "In August 1944, U.S.M.C. requested 50 M32B3s, equipped
          > with the horizontal volute suspension system (HVSS). The
          > pilot models were designated T14E1 and production models
          > M32A1xx."
          > - "Starting in March 1945, Baldwin Locomotive Works and
          > International Harvester Company converted 80 M32B3's to
          > M32A1B3's."
          > - "Starting in May 1945, Baldwin Locomotive Works converted
          > 37 M32B1's to M32A1B1's."
          >
          > Sources (with technical data, etc. as well):
          > http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/trvm32.html
          > http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/dimi_labada/M32/M32_ARV_UK.htm
          >
          > Re: "I ask because I'm thinking of turning one of my radio
          > control M4's into an M32 , and want to know if its gonna be
          > more 'what if' than reality . The issued kit is an M4(105)
          > HVSS with late glacis."
          >
          > The 47° glacis and the rear deck & overhang of the late M4
          > hull are the main problems: If you want to have a original-
          > looking M32A1B3 (The only welded hull M32 with HVSS), you
          > need to alter the glacis to 58° (with two new hoods) and
          > the rear part of your model to a Ford V8 GAA engine propelled
          > M4A3's rear!

          The back deck mods are in process , as friends want to turn
          their M4(105)'s into M4A3E8's , complete with new turret ,
          main gun & back deck mod-kit .

          > Here are good detail shots of a preserved M32A1B3:
          > http://www.clandavidsonusa.com/wac/afvphotos/us/m32b1/m32arv.htm
          >
          > Or, if you are willing to cheat a little bit with the rear,
          > then you could also create a M74 TRV [based on M4A3 w/ late
          > 47° glacis]! But, that would be more work and representing
          > a postwar tank...

          If I was gonna cheat , it would be in using the late 47°
          glacis . To scratch an early glacis is a lotta work :
          new hatch castings , arrgg ...

          > Hope this helps!
          >
          > Regards,
          > André
          >
          > PS: The 1:16 scale model prototype for a M4(105) based M32A1:
          > http://www.bayareatankers.org/freddorn.htm

          Fred's unit is where I got my inspiration . Mine wont have an
          exterman control box though , not with the new electronics
          available .

          Thanks Andre .
          WhiteWolf