Re: [G104] Re: Sherman DD recovery in Italy

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 24, 2002
      At 02:38 PM 5/21/2002 +0200, Raimondo L. Torelli wrote:
      >The 8th DD Sherman has already been transported to the Museum near
      >Latina (about Anzio area). This Museum has been founded by
      >a former tankman. They already have a running Sherman, which has been used
      >for the movies "The Life is Beautiful" and "The British (or English?) Patient".
      >The recovered DD Sherman will be disassembled, cleaned and restored.
      >I have not yet had the possibility to visit the Museum but I plan to go
      >there sometime in the future.

      Raimundo,

      It was nice meeting you again at Beltring! Is the museum you mentioned
      called "Museo di Piana delle Orme"? Their site at
      http://www.pianadelleorme.it/ shows a vague picture of the Sherman used in
      "La vita è bella". A better picture can be found at the Mezzi Militari site
      at http://www.mezzimilitari.it/mostre/pianadelleorme.shtml

      This is the Sherman used in "La vita è bella":
      http://www.mezzimilitari.it/immagini/manifestazioni/piana_delle_orme/16.jpg
      Is this an M4A3(75)W or one of the Italian M4(105)'s retrofitted with a 75mm
      gun?

      The next three pictures show an Sherman V Firefly, albeit without gun and
      retrofitted with a Continental radial engine:
      http://www.mezzimilitari.it/immagini/manifestazioni/piana_delle_orme/14.jpg
      http://www.mezzimilitari.it/immagini/manifestazioni/piana_delle_orme/15.jpg
      http://www.mezzimilitari.it/immagini/manifestazioni/piana_delle_orme/17.jpg

      And there's a third Sherman as well:
      http://www.mezzimilitari.it/immagini/manifestazioni/piana_delle_orme/4.jpg

      Here's hoping the museum will properly preserve the Sherman DD recently
      recovered.

      Best regards,
      Hanno Spoelstra

    • Joseph DeMarco
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 3, 2002
        At 02:38 PM 5/21/2002, Raimondo L. Torelli wrote:
        >The 8th DD Sherman has already been transported to the Museum near
        >Latina (about Anzio area).
        >The recovered DD Sherman will be disassembled, cleaned and restored.
        >I have not yet had the possibility to visit the Museum but I plan to go
        >there sometime in the future.

        I've been trying to do a little research into the history of the DD
        recovered in Italy. Near Salerno, right? The results to date:

        The 753rd Tank Battalion "Historical Narrative for the Month of July"
        simply states that "Companies "A" and "B" each sent eight crews...
        to the ITC [Invasion Training Center in Salerno] for training in
        the operation and use of DD tanks. During the course of this training
        one tank had its canvas attachment ripped by a projection on the
        ramp of the LCT; the tank sank and one man was drowned."

        In another document, "Report on DD Equipped Medium Tanks in
        Operation Dragoon" it is stated that: "Two DD tanks were lost at
        sea during unloading exercises. The canvas water-screens of these
        DD devices were ripped by metal hooks attached to some chains
        which were accountably swinging from the bow of an LCT(6) while
        the tanks were proceeding down the ramp of the craft.
        The 2nd and 4th tanks launched from this particular craft in
        this exercise were undamaged, but the 1st and 3rd tanks were
        rendered unseaworthy. The first of these unseaworthy DD tanks
        sank immediately. Its crew was evacuated, but the driver of
        the tank died. The second unseaworthy tank tried to proceed
        to shore, but sank after its engine failed. The complete crew
        of this second unseaworthy tank was safely evacuated.
        There were no other unusual accidents during training."

        Perhaps there is another DD Sherman still on the seabed?

        Joe
      • rslarch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2002
          Joe,

          Thanks for the good research on the training losses of the DD's off Salerno.
          Did the drowned driver escape from the first tank and drown in the open seas,
          or did he go down with the tank?

          Rich
          In San Francisco
        • André Flener
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 27, 2002
            --- In G104@y..., Hanno Spoelstra <HL.Spoelstra@i...> wrote:
            > Here's hoping the museum will properly preserve the Sherman DD
            recently recovered.

            Here are the latest pictures of that Sherman DD tank - after
            its "first conservation restoration":

            http://digilander.libero.it/pmg/contributi/censimento/23_m4dd_la.htm

            It's indeed now on display at the so-called "Museo di Piana delle
            Orme". (Click on 'home' at the bottom of the page linked above to
            return to this museum's tank list.)

            And for those folks not fluent in the Italian language, you could
            translate that web page by using Altavista's Babelfish:

            http://babel.altavista.com/translate.dyn

            Regards,
            André