Re: Sherman Dozers in British Service

  • sunsetblvd2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
      I've been doing some reading about 2nd Canadian Corp's Operation
      TRACTABLE, which took place in Normandy in mid-August 1944. The author
      mentions that the British (79th Armd Div?) supplied "... special tanks
      equipped to prepare pits for dug-in tanks on the final objective."

      My understanding is that the Centaur Bulldozer didn't come into use
      until further on in the campaign in NWE. This passage though, would
      lead one to believe that the tanks he writes about would be dozer
      tanks of some kind, and not the armoured bulldozer which was in
      widespread use in Canadian and British units throughout Normandy.

      I'm hoping that someone here can tell me how early the Sherman dozer
      came into use with British armoured formations? I wonder if they could
      be the tanks he speaks of?

      Cheers,

      Chris
    • Jean Sabatay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
        Hello all,

        Regarding Sherman Dozers, but most specifically those
        used by the US Army in the ETO, 1944-1945, that is
        from D-Day to VE-Day, I can't find the data I am
        looking for. Could any of you help me with the
        following questions:

        - Were they used only by Armoured divisions, or were
        they used by others ?

        - Which versions of the Sherman were used by the US
        Army in Europe equipped with a dozer blade ?

        - What was the organisation of the units which used
        them (meaning, were they used mixed with other types
        of Shermans, and if yes, in which numbers ?)

        - Does any of you knows when they were delivered to
        the using units ? And in which numbers ?

        Thank you for any information, and sorry to ask such a
        huge question, as well as for my French English.

        Thank you in advance, and best regards from Paris,

        Jean

      • pandrews1964
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          > I'm hoping that someone here can tell me how early the Sherman dozer
          > came into use with British armoured formations? I wonder if they
          could
          > be the tanks he speaks of?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Chris

          Nothing in the 79th Armoured Division records at the PRO I've seen so
          far indicates they ever had Sherman Dozers. Perhaps they were the
          Armoured Cat Dozers of the Division's Assault Park Squadron?

          However, Sherman dozers were used by Armoured Engineers in Italy. 1
          Assault Regiment RAC/RE started to use Sherman III Dozers from late
          May 1944 onwards (following some early trials with borrowed US M4A1
          dozers). Sherman V Dozers were issued to other Commonwealth
          armoured units in Italy later in the year. At least one of earliest
          shipments of dozer kits was specially diverted direct to the Italian
          theatre, instead of going to the UK.
        • fallgelb1940
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In G104@y..., "sunsetblvd2002" <chrjohnson@s...> wrote:
            > I've been doing some reading about 2nd Canadian Corp's Operation
            > TRACTABLE, which took place in Normandy in mid-August 1944. The
            author
            > mentions that the British (79th Armd Div?) supplied "... special
            tanks
            > equipped to prepare pits for dug-in tanks on the final objective."
            >
            > My understanding is that the Centaur Bulldozer didn't come into use
            > until further on in the campaign in NWE. This passage though, would
            > lead one to believe that the tanks he writes about would be dozer
            > tanks of some kind, and not the armoured bulldozer which was in
            > widespread use in Canadian and British units throughout Normandy.
            >
            > I'm hoping that someone here can tell me how early the Sherman dozer
            > came into use with British armoured formations? I wonder if they
            could
            > be the tanks he speaks of?
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Chris

            Chris,

            'The Story of the 79th Armoured Division' states that Crabs, AVREs
            and Bulldozers were used to support the Canadians in this operation.
            Tankdozers (type of tank not specified) are only mentioned in
            relation to 'F' Wing, formed in December 1944 to look at the problem
            of combating mines, especially anti-personnel ones.

            Andrew