Shermans in Europe

  • Russ Morgan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2002
      Are any of you European guys going to Beltring and could maybe help steer a
      couple of "Sherman Want a Be" into discussing the purchase of "future"
      re-patriation Shermans? Jim and I have been searching this side of the pond
      without any luck but maybe the laws will change and some Shermans could come
      home to the US. I am holding space in my warehouse next to my Stuart for a
      Sherman. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Russ Morgan in Colorado
      Please let me know if I can meet up with any of you at Beltring. Thanks
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2010
        Does anybody keep a database of running shermans in europe? A friend is thinking of shooting a film that would require operational shermans and it would be great to know what is available on the continent. Back in 1970 they shot Kelly's Heros in Yugoslavia because their army had WWII tanks available in their arsenal. I would appreciate any information members might have.
      • Kees Huyser
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
          Contact Pierre Deghaye from the Belgium group Tanks in Town.
          He organises a tank meeting every year in Bastogne, so he should know who's got running Shermans.
          His email is pierre@...

          --kees
        • Terry Warner
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
            msteck2005 wrote:

            > Does anybody keep a database of running shermans in europe? A friend
            > is thinking of shooting a film that would require operational shermans
            > and it would be great to know what is available on the continent.

            Every year there is a tank rally called Tanks In Town. Contact the
            organizers. Do some research. That will answer your question, up to
            the minute.

            > Back in 1970 they shot Kelly's Heros in Yugoslavia because their army
            > had WWII tanks available in their arsenal. I would appreciate any
            > information members might have.

            The Yugoslavs scrapped and parked their Shermans not long after that
            movie. A friend of mine who drove around Bosnia and Croatia during the
            civil war said there were Shermans etc in little municipal parks
            everywhere, that had been apportioned as memorials depending on that
            town's 'patriotism' during WWII. The JNA standardized on T55s and later
            T72-type tanks. The M36 and Hellcat Tank Destroyers were kept for
            specific tactical reasons. I can't explain why there were running T34s
            as late as the 1990s.

          • Tich
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
              --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "msteck2005" <mstoeckinger@...> wrote:

              > Does anybody keep a database of running shermans in europe? A friend is thinking of shooting a film that would require operational shermans and it would be great to know what is available on the continent. Back in 1970 they shot Kelly's Heros in Yugoslavia because their army had WWII tanks available in their arsenal. I would appreciate any information members might have.

              Database of runners, not that I know off. I can say that in Belgium there are at least 6 running Shermans. 1 Sherman Vc, 1 M4(105), 1 M4A1(76) all from the Brussels Museum, the M4A1 Grizzly of Pierre, a M4(105) from a private collection and a Sherman Ic also private. In Luxemburg there is at least 1 M4A1 Grizzly and in The Nederlands there is also at least one.

              Michel
            • orngboss302
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
                msteck2005

                Pierre is about the best person to talk too here in Europe about operatinal WW2 equipment. Look up his siteand you can see the amount of vehicles that attend the Tanksintown event. Do you have a idea of what type of film you will make? Please let me know if i can help out,
                just send me a email to orngboss302@... , i'm stationed in germany and would be interested to see this first hand. If your looking for ideas for a movie, do one on Task Force Baum, Pattons raid on Hammelberg POW camp. Thanks

                --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "msteck2005" <mstoeckinger@...> wrote:

                > Does anybody keep a database of running shermans in europe? A friend is thinking of shooting a film that would require operational shermans and it would be great to know what is available on the continent. Back in 1970 they shot Kelly's Heros in Yugoslavia because their army had WWII tanks available in their arsenal. I would appreciate any information members might have.

              • msteck2005
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
                  Thanks for the input - I'll continue the search!