Re: [G104] Sherman tanks and radios

  • Russ Morgan
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2002
      Bob and Couch, Please let me know about those 51 channels. Any idea what
      radio it was? My radio an SCR 508 uses a BC604 transmitter with 10 push
      button channels with possibility of 80 removable crystals.

      In the FT 237 mount was also TWO receivers BC 603 with ten push buttons
      each. ie 20 channels incoming and 10 channels outgoing. Obviously you could
      remove the covers and change crystals to any number of possiblities but only
      can use 10 out and 20 in with the push buttons. Does this sound like your
      radio? Thanks for the clarification. Russ Morgan
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2002
        Hi Russ...
        Here I go letting you down, but I do have a great excuse...I forget!
        For the life of me about all I can recall is the there was a bunch of shiny
        chrome plated pushbuttons. And, yes, a tray(s) of crystals to allow changing
        frequencies. I don't think I ever changed anything...and, the only use I had
        of the radio was tank to tank. The platoon leader did all the tank to
        company/battalion conversations. I do remember that I hung my Thompson sub
        machine gun under the lip of the radio.
        Couch might be able to give you more info..he was a loader and spent more
        time in the turret than I did. Ninety nine pecent of my combat time was spent
        driving the blasted darlin'. I didn't get moved upstairs until toward the end
        when they ran out of good men, looked around and found me cowering
        downstairs...(smile).
        Cheers,

        Bob & Linda May
        Eight Dollar Mountain,
        Southern Oregon

      • printeral@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2002
          Hi Russ
          In our Ford v-8s , we were told it was a radio
          designed for Pennsilvania State police Department. 51 channels all
          controled by the use of push buttons. If the Japanese got on our
          channel, we just were sent to a different crystil.
          example: we were on 3 and they would send us to 8. The Japs couldn't say
          r's they would say l's
          so our call name was Pudding Charlie to them was prudding charrie.
          So if we heard Prudding Charrie move out. we knew we were not in range
          and we would pour it to them.
          Couch