Re: [G104] Die Bruecke--What kind of Tanks?

  • Kees Huyser
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8 7:05 AM
      At 13:38 +0000 08/04/02, jagjetta wrote:
      > I am wondering what the Sherman-like tanks were in the 1959 German
      > movie, "Die Bruecke" ("The Bridge"). They appear considerably and

      Here's the movieposter with a tank on it:

      http://www.nikhef.nl/~keeshu/diebruecke.jpg

      --kees
    • Michael Peters
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8 8:57 AM
        In The Bridge the tanks looked quite small to me like M-22 Locust light tanks. There was some bar that ran externally along the bottom suspension that reminded me of the M-22. I could be wrong though have been before lol.

        follow this link for a pic.
        http://www.military.cz/panzer/indsk/m22sk.htm

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9 9:31 AM
          Looks like a PzII with a modified glacis,
          and a modified turret face.

          Jerry
        • jagjetta
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9 11:22 AM
            Jerry had an interesting suggestion with the Pzkw. II, but if you
            look again at the movie poster:

            http://www.nikhef.nl/~keeshu/diebruecke.jpg

            you will see that the tank has six road wheels, whereas the Pzkw. had
            five. Turret shape sure looks similar, though!

            The same is true for M22s and M24s (though the similiarity of those
            two vehicles ends right there!).

            A couple of the characteristics that should help identify the movie's
            tank are the width of the vehicle (notice how wide the glacis is),
            the width of the track, and the six road wheels. Most everything
            else, I think, one might assume has been modified for the purpose of
            the movie (maybe not, but just too hard to trust the movie folks
            above the treads! Look at what they did to a T34 in Saving Pvt. Ryan,
            for example.)

            Any assistance will be appreciated. I am writing a review of the
            movie and would like to comment on the tanks as they play an integral
            role in the film.

            Many thanks for all of the ideas. I am looking forward to reading
            suggestions from other list members.

            John A-G
            Iola, Wisconsin USA

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9 12:12 PM
              At 18:22 9-4-2002 -0000, jagjetta wrote:
              >Any assistance will be appreciated. I am writing a review of the
              >movie and would like to comment on the tanks as they play an integral
              >role in the film.
              >
              >Many thanks for all of the ideas. I am looking forward to reading
              >suggestions from other list members.

              John,

              I have seen the movie and I recall it featured two "tanks". They were
              obviously movie props, made to look like Sherman tanks. The giveaway to me
              was a wobbly gun barrel and in one shot you can see wheels under the hull
              and fake tracks on the outside of the hull. Possibly they used tank or
              crawler tractor parts to fabricate them, but I doubt they were real tanks
              dressed up as Shermans.

            • jagjetta
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9 12:34 PM
                Hanno,
                Thank you so much! I was just thinking to myself, "I hope Hanno sees
                my question, he might have an idea." My suspicion was that the two
                tanks in the film were fabricated on some sort of vehicle simply
                because of the width. Now I am going to rewind the film and look
                even closer. Thank you so much for you idea. This points me in a new
                direction.

                Thank you again,
                John Adams-Graf

              • Tanker06@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 9 1:23 PM
                  Was at work, so while I thought the PzKfw II was a possible,
                  I couldn't remember how many roadwheels it had.

                  Jerry
                • bobskat@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 9 1:55 PM
                    I didn't see that movie, but from what all of you folks have written it does
                    sound like something that was "built up" for the picture.
                    But, ever since seeing Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump shaking hands with two
                    past presidents, both of whom were dead at the time the scene was
                    filmed...well, I find myself realizing that with the use of computers these
                    days, most ANYTHING we see on TV or movies might not even exist except
                    somewhere deep in the bowels of an electronic machine.
                    Once again, I understand that the vehicles you are talking about are not
                    computer generated but are, instead, something built for the scenes.

                    Bob & Linda May
                    Eight Dollar Mountain,
                    Southern Oregon