renting Sherman abroad (Form 97)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2002
      >From: "Bill Guiette" <bill@...>
      >To: <HL.Spoelstra@...>
      >Subject: Sherman Encyclopedia
      >Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:40:34 -0800
      >
      >I have a M4A3 Sherman that has had at least 4 owners since 1970 when it
      was sold by MGM Studios. At present, I have an opportunity to rent it for a
      Motion Picture being filmed in another country, and the subject of a Form
      97(Release from U.S. Govt) has come up. I don't have one and neither has any
      of the owners since the purchase from MGM in 1970. What would be the best
      way to find out if there ever was a Form 97 issued on this tank and if so,
      how I can obtain a copy.

      >Bill Guiette

      Hi Bill,

      I am sorry, but I live outside the USA so I don't know the intricacies of US
      Custom forms. I do know it is very difficult to get Sherman tanks back into
      the USA these days, so I'd make sure the paperwork is in order before you
      send off your valued posession abroad.

      I have copied this e-mail to the Sherman Register and Military Vehicles
      Mailing Lists, as I am sure there are much more knowledgeable people on
      these lists. They should be able to tell you more about the do's and don'ts
      re. Form 97's.

      Good luck and let us know if you Sherman makes it as a movie star!

      Regards,
      Hanno Spoelstra