Re: [G104] first Chrysler produced M3 Lee

  • Joseph DeMarco
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2002
      >And for the Sherman folks there is a
      >picture of what se think is the first Chrysler produced M3 Lee. (at
      >least that is what someone told me. The towing lugs say either 2 or 3
      >(I have a picture of them I just can't remember which they are)

      Hi Bob

      I've been able to confirm that the M3 Lee in Newark, Delaware is indeed the
      first TANK built at the Detroit Tank Arsenal. S/N 2 - USA 301000.
      It was a gift to the government from Chrysler employees & was used
      extensively in tests at APG. There's a photo of it on page 50 of Mr. Hunnicutt's
      'Sherman' book, taken when it was returned to the Arsenal on May 17,1945.
      "2" is stamped on the rear tow lugs & "3" is stamped on the front tow lugs.
      At some point during it's life as a test vehicle, #2 got the differential housing of #3.

      http://www.geocities.com/convent21218/Newark.jpg

      There's a former Korean War era Chrysler Tank plant in Newark & that is
      how the Lee ended up there. The historian at the Chrysler Museum said that they
      would like to get this back some day...

      Joe
    • bsmart111
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2002
        --- In G104@y..., "Joseph DeMarco" <snick@c...> wrote:

        > I've been able to confirm that the M3 Lee in Newark, Delaware is
        indeed the
        > first TANK built at the Detroit Tank Arsenal. S/N 2 - USA 301000.
        > It was a gift to the government from Chrysler employees & was used
        > extensively in tests at APG. There's a photo of it on page 50 of Mr.
        Hunnicutt's
        > 'Sherman' book, taken when it was returned to the Arsenal on May
        17,1945.
        > "2" is stamped on the rear tow lugs & "3" is stamped on the front
        tow lugs.
        > At some point during it's life as a test vehicle, #2 got the
        differential housing of #3.

        > http://www.geocities.com/convent21218/Newark.jpg
        >
        > There's a former Korean War era Chrysler Tank plant in Newark & that
        is
        > how the Lee ended up there. The historian at the Chrysler Museum
        said that they
        > would like to get this back some day...
        >
        > Joe

        Joe I remember you and I discussing it a while back. My memory had it
        that you had found the serial number 3 on the lugs. I was up there
        recently and got clear pictures of 2 on both rear lugs and I didn't
        want to state something wrong until I had a chance to look up my old
        files. Thanks for clearing it up. Since we 'found' it it has been
        repainted. Green on everything, the tracks, the bogies, everything.
        and the green doesn't look right either. Somewhat disapointing. I just
        found a copy of Hunnicutt at a hobby shop in Ohio. They are sending it
        to me so I'll be able to look up the pictures in a week or so :-)

        Do you have a list of other 'monuments' in the region. I'd like to get
        pictures of as many as possible.

        Bob Smart (bsmart@...)