Re: [G104] Re: Book

  • printeral@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2002
      Hi
      You went home when your dad died, we met on the Loriline on your way
      back to the 763rd.
      In was never in your tank, I was in Gardners tank. You were always in
      the tank ahead of me, we learned to read lips. on one run down Pearl
      There was a big heavy block and tackle swinging you mouthed LOOK=OUT! I
      ducked and the sparks flew as it hit my hatch.
      I thought you looked like and sounded like Lee Marvin, my tank commander
      , Gardner looked like Humpry Bogart
      I spent 2-years overseas
      I was too young according to Congress to be in a combat area...
      So they put me in a dance band at Kilaway
      R&R for about 6-months.
      Then I rejoined the outfit.
      I could have stayed there for the duration.
      But I was hooked on Tanks.
      Couch
    • Ray Merriam
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2002
        Although this is true, using the exact same title as a previously published (or currently available) book can lead to confusion and potentially lost sales (and irate customers/readers if they end up with the wrong book!). I know from personal experience that even a title that is merely SIMILAR to another title can lead to confusion, especially among book stores and distributors who are going by info that their customer may provide them that may not be complete and/or totally accurate.

        Also be careful about the main title; if you get too clever you'll get inquiries from people who have no idea what the book is really about and because the same thing can mean many different things to different people, confusion can result. A good sub-title that is very descriptive or expands on the main title to clear things up is a must in my opinion, although sub-titles have a way of being left off reviews, catalog descriptions, lists, etc.

        Sincerely,

        Ray Merriam
        Owner, Merriam Press
        218 Beech St
        Bennington VT 05201 USA

        802-447-0313

        http://www.merriam-press.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2002
          Bob, this is clever, but absolutely begs for a clear sub-title--the Civil War history types will get really pissed if they ordered this book from a store and were expecting something totally different.

          Some people pour over the ISBN listings looking for anything that even comes close to their favorite area of interest. Problem is, those listings rarely have any descriptive info and depend solely on the titles given.

          Sincerely,

          Ray Merriam
          Owner, Merriam Press
          218 Beech St
          Bennington VT 05201 USA

          802-447-0313

          http://www.merriam-press.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2002
            Bob,

            Don't worry about the cussing. Most of the memoirs I have published have it to some degree or other and I have not tried to censor it nor even try to explain it to more sensitive readers--I leave it as it stands (including the almighty "f" word) and let the chips fall where they may. A surprising number of people who order these books are female--mostly daughters and granddaughters, nieces, etc., of the author or who had a relative in the same unit or same type of unit, etc, and they do read the books as they are interested in finding out what their relatives really went through. I have never had a single complaint about the cussing in any of my books.

            I wouldn't put it in just to have cussing, but there are instances when the cussing was actually used and it is the only way to get the point across to the reader that particular event so they "get it."

            Sincerely,

            Ray Merriam
            Owner, Merriam Press
            218 Beech St
            Bennington VT 05201 USA

            802-447-0313

            http://www.merriam-press.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2002
              Couch...
              Thanks for jogging my poor memory. Tough to get old...they say.
              The "book" is all of 7 pages long right now. It was more, but I have revised
              it down a bit. l-o-n-g way to go, for sure. It's a lot of fun, though,
              remembering some of those days. Not so much fun remembering other days.
              later, and,
              Hugs to all three of yo,

              Bob & Linda May
              Eight Dollar Mountain,
              Southern Oregon
            • big_silver_wolf
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 8, 2002
                Dear Bob,

                It can be very tough to decide what is and isn't gratuitous or
                appropriate out of context. Therefore, it is helpful to remember
                that your initial manuscript will not be published, and you should
                therefore include EVERYTHING in it; all the swearing, all the
                questionable stories, and even the accusations of other units if
                appropriate, remembering that they can be edited out later on once
                you have a clear idea of the 'bigger picture'. While most of that
                stuff will not make it into the final print, having it there will
                help you rememebr the emotions of the time, and it will also help to
                show your Editor what your getting at so that he can try to preserve
                your sentiments whilst removing anything that might be too offensive
                or which you don't have the rights to publish.

                Hope this is of help,

                Ken.

              • mykef2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 8, 2002
                  Bob,
                  How about "Better Leyte than Never"?

                  Seriously, some reference to the 763rd's Motto or Unit Crest might be more
                  appropriate.

                  Some other titles I've seen: "Dragons at War", "Tuskers in the Gulf", etc.,
                  all refer to the unit crest. "Strike Hard," with a subtitle identifying the
                  unit and time period is another that I don't have at hand right now but based
                  on the unit's motto.

                  As someone mentioned before, the title will probably write itself.

                  Look forward to seeing it in print.

                  Cheers,
                  Mike

                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 9, 2002
                    Bob

                    As a lurker who doesn't post very often I really enjoy your stories and would gladly fork over some dough for a copy of your book published or not!

                    Rob in Ridgecrest Ca. (who got a ride in the Chino Sherman a while back and loved it!)

                  • rrunnersb@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2002
                      Bob

                      Published or not I also would fork over cash to read anything you have been able to put on paper. Keep writing.

                      Jim in Detroit
                    • tlitwil
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 10, 2002
                        Hi Bob, just a thought on your book title, how about "C-Biscuit, My
                        life with a Sherman" or "C-Biscuit, xx days or years with a Sherman".

                        Tim
                      • bobskat@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2002
                          Hi Tim...
                          You've got Couches tank, "C-Bisquit" mixed up with mine, 'Cutthroats".
                          Cutthroats was knocked out on April 30th. by what we think was a heavy
                          mortar round that hit on the flat deck just behing the turret, and right in
                          the clutch area. They (mortar fire) were falling all around us at the
                          time.The engine continued to run, believe it or not, but I couldn't get it
                          into gear! We had to abandon her and because we were a hundred yards or so
                          ahead of our infantry at the time...and with an almost full load of 75mm
                          ammo, our captain orderd her destroyed by another tank. It would have been a
                          real prize for the enemy and would have raised hell with our infantry by
                          turning that gun on them
                          My replacment tank was named. "Come 'N Get It", and had the word, "IT"
                          painted on the 75mm gun right where it comes out of the turret.
                          Later,
                          Bob & Linda May
                          Eight Dollar Mountain,
                          Southern Oregon