Grizzly Kanagaroo

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 1:47 PM

      Geoff Winnington-Ball wrote:
      >Is it my imagination, or does there seem to be a disproportionate number of
      >Grizzlys surviving the Great Postwar Military Vehicle Holocaust? If so, why?

      I don't know much about the Great Postwar Military Vehicle Holocaust, but
      since the Grizzlies remained in Canada for training could not have been left
      behind in the huge vehicle dumps in Europe. They were probably also the best
      Shermans in inventory, the ones used in Europe were really worn out. I guess
      Canada did want to retain some tanks?

      In 1946 Canada acquired 294 M4A2(76)W HVSS Shermans for training, and
      apparently several dozens Grizzlies were then converted into Kangaroos (but
      I would like to see this confirmed). In 1954 Canada supplied a number of
      Grizzly tanks and some 40 Grizzly Kangaroos to Portugal.
      When Centurions replaced the M4A2(76)W HVSS Shermans, they were used in the
      APC role as well. The Canadians were apparently - and rightly so - quite
      fond of their improvised APC. Sad thing the Bobcat did not materialize, it
      could have been a worthy successor of the Ram, Grizzly and Sherman Kangaroos.