Bombtank article-Sherbrooke Fusiliers

  • cauncy@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      I saw an item on the Bombtank. Here the newspaper item in picture
      form! Picture of the crew including Lt Walter White(deceased) Quality
      of pic suspect!!
    • Joseph DeMarco
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
        >I saw an item on the Bombtank. Here the newspaper item in picture
        >form! Picture of the crew including Lt Walter White(deceased)

        The Daily News article names two of her crew, Lt Walter White &
        Ernest C. Mingo.
        The article states that White figured out a way to float his Squadron's
        tanks across the Rhine by wrapping them with compressed air hoses.
        Any more information about that???

        There is a piece entitled "2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade's Tank
        Monuments" on page 15 of The First Hussars Bulletin:

        http://www.1st-hussars.org/Bulletins/Bull01-2.doc

        (Actually, the whole Bulletin is worth a read.)

        "Monuments" explains how the following tanks ended up where
        they are today.

        HOLY ROLLER - London WD number CT 152655
        BOMB - Sherbrooke WD number T 152656
        The Doetinchem tank - Holland WD number T 232615

        While there are period photos showing "Bomb" with T-152656,
        it seemed a little incongruous that "Holy Roller," in a different unit,
        would be T-152655. However, the article states, "by a curious
        coincidence these two vehicles had consecutive hull numbers."

        A short section about "Bomb" (with another commander) is excerpted below.

        "THE SHERBROKE FUSILIER REGIMENT

        For the Sherbrookes a call from the Canadian Army Film Unit
        proved a Godsend. The Sherbrookes were asked to assist in
        making a picture based on the exploits of a Sherman 75-mm
        named Bomb. It was Bomb's proud record to have been the only
        tank in the regiment to make it all the way from the Normandy
        beaches to VE Day. Bomb was duly recovered from the
        Ordnance Corps Field Park where all the tanks had been
        deposited to await turnover to the Dutch Army.
        Its crew was reunited and taken back to the Rhineland,
        where scenes were shot on the site of the battle where
        Bomb's crew commander, Lieutenant John Neill, had won
        the Military Cross. In the words of his citation:

        On 26 Feb 45, Lt Neill quickly appreciating the situation
        decided to make a dash for the objective and attempt,
        with fire from his tanks, to dominate the dead ground beyond.
        The tank charge was extremely difficult and dangerous due to
        the fact it was made without infantry support and enemy bazooka
        men were in every ditch and slit trench.
        Arriving on the objective with only one other tank he was met by
        intense enemy mortar, artillery and machine-gun fire.
        Although alone with one other tank and faced with superior
        enemy fire he refused to withdraw, but coolly and with grim
        determination, brought accurate fire to bear on the enemy,
        inflicting numerous casualties so that when the infantry arrived
        some twenty minutes later they were able to dig in and consolidate
        without appreciable loss.

        After the filming, the regiment contrived to retain Bomb,
        arranging through less than proper methods to have the tank
        sent to Canada. Today it sits in a Sherbrooke park, hometown of
        the Sherbrooke Hussars, as the regiment is now known."

        Thanks, Jim Goetz, for digging that up!
        (And for all your help with the serial numbers of Canadian Shermans.)

        Back in Oct. 2000 on this DG, we talked about "tracing the entire history
        of a Sherman tank, from factory, to boat, to battlefield and back again."
        A tank like "Bomb" seemed to offer a good oppurtunity for such a project.

        Anyway, the two articles provide a few pieces of the puzzle concerning the
        history of "Bomb" & her crew.

        The tank itself as it sits in Sherbrooke, is like a big, heavy historic
        document. For some time, Jim & I have been trying to obtain the
        US Ordnance serial numbers of the two most historic tanks in Canada,
        "Bomb" & "Holy Roller." We think that information will provide us with
        the "factory" part of the equation. We're pretty sure that both tanks are
        examples of early production M4A2's from the Fisher Tank Arsenal,
        built in the summer of '42. It's possible that "Bomb" might have
        a combat history preceding D-Day...

        Joe
      • Dana J Nield
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
          I'm a Canadian History Major who defected to Vermont to work in the IT
          industry (Long Story, needless to say!). Last spring I drove up to
          Sherbrooke to photograph Bomb for a fellow modeller. Its in pretty rough and
          forgotten shape.

          The Article says its located in the Regiments Parade square, however its
          next to a athletic field in a park across town. The interior is gutted,
          anything on the exterior that could be ripped off has been, and it has a
          patina of light rust.

          I've posted a few photos on my site, the urls are:

          http://www.dana-nield.com/bomb1.jpg
          http://www.dana-nield.com/bomb2.jpg
          http://www.dana-nield.com/bomb3.jpg
          http://www.dana-nield.com/bomb4.jpg

          Unfortunately I never thought to look for the serial number. I'll see if I
          can get up there before the snow starts to fall.

          Cheers!

          Dana

> [...]

          Back in Oct. 2000 on this DG, we talked about "tracing the entire history
          of a Sherman tank, from factory, to boat, to battlefield and back again."
          A tank like "Bomb" seemed to offer a good oppurtunity for such a project.

          Anyway, the two articles provide a few pieces of the puzzle concerning the
          history of "Bomb" & her crew.

          The tank itself as it sits in Sherbrooke, is like a big, heavy historic
          document. For some time, Jim & I have been trying to obtain the
          US Ordnance serial numbers of the two most historic tanks in Canada,
          "Bomb" & "Holy Roller." We think that information will provide us with
          the "factory" part of the equation. We're pretty sure that both tanks are
          examples of early production M4A2's from the Fisher Tank Arsenal,
          built in the summer of '42. It's possible that "Bomb" might have

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          **Please trim your replies**
          **Do not post in HTML or "Rich Text" mode**
          **Plain ASCII Text only please**
          **Attachments will be stripped**