Tanks in the Sand Dunes?

  • RSLARCH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      I have been to the dunes and it would be easy to get a tank stuck and lost in
      them. If there is a tank (or tanks) buried in the dunes it (or they) would
      be very hard to find now since the sand drifts..

      When Patton was training at Camp Irwin in 1941 and 1942 (now Fort Irwin) he
      could have sent a column over to the dunes. Perhaps someone has a history
      of the training excercises done before Patton departed for Casablanca. I
      belive armor units continued to train in the desert for the rest of the war.
      The post was fully active when I spent several blazing hot summer weeks there
      in 1964 and 65 with the California National Guard. In night maneuvers we lost
      APC's and trucks out in the desert for days at a time when they broke down.
      We had to hunt for them by air and air drop food and water to the crews until
      the recovery vehicles could bring them back to the post headquarters.
      Perhaps a call to the Park Ranger station at the San Dunes National Monument
      could clear up the story. It just may a myth.

      Rich in San Francisco
    • Joseph DeMarco
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Rich

        You wrote:
        "Perhaps someone has a history of the training excercises
        done before Patton departed for Casablanca."

        There is a Patton Memorial Museum at Chiriaco Summit, CA.
        They might have that info.

        General George S. Patton Memorial Museum
        Chiriaco Summit, CA 92201
        760-227-3483
        Open daily 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
        http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/feb/stories/paton.html

        Another site mentions a tank park outside the museum:

        Approaching the General Patton Memorial Museum, visitors pass the bronze
        statue of a helmeted soldier clad in the booted uniform of a cavalryman.
        Indeed, George S. Patton and his dog, Willie, are caught in a rare moment of
        repose by sculptor Austin Deuel. Inside the museum, artifacts, weapons and
        other memorabilia of WWII are on display. In the tank park to the west of
        the museum, there are 17 M-60 Sergeant York tanks, as used in Desert Storm;
        three M-47 General Pattons; and one each M-26 General Pershing, M-4 General
        Sherman and M-5 General Grant.

        Judging by the guy's tank descriptions, these could be anything,
        but I would hope the M4 is actually an M4...

        http://www.landings.com/_landings/ganflyer/jun27-1997/Patton-Museum.html

        In Michael Green's 'Sherman' book there's a nice photo of a
        "badly shot-up M4 composite hull Sherman [that] came off a
        USAF firing range [and is now] on display at a museum in
        Southern California."
        Maybe they have that one at Chiriaco Summit?

        Joe DeMarco