Fwd: pencil gears wanted for Sherman tank drive train

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2 12:36 AM
      At 17:17 1-9-2001 +1200, Marg wrote:
      >Hi
      >
      >We are trying to locate the following and wondered if you might be able to
      direct us to someone who may be able to help

      >Sherman tank drive train
      >1945 M4 class carrier (medium) (Chrysler Manufacturing Company)
      >Specifically we require 6 pencil gears for the above
      >The serial number on the diff head is 26124
      >
      >Any information you could provide would be much appreciated.
      >
      >Sincerely
      >Margaret Aburn
      >Tower Logging Company

      Margaret,

      A friend of mine here in the Netherlands has a large stock of Sherman tank
      parts: see http://www.geocities.com/stamantrading for contact details.

      I have also posted your message to the Sherman Register mailing list. See
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104 for any replies the list members might post.

      I presume the parts are needed for a logging machine. I have heard about
      Sherman chassis used for this purpose, but have not see the logging
      equipment itself. Can you please provide a picture?

      Best regards,
      Hanno Spoelstra

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2 2:52 PM
        Speaking of logging machines,here in the Northwest ,(Oregon)is a large
        amount of converted Shermans and other tracked vehicles.I think this is
        a subject that is over looked,I have seen many Sherman chassis's working
        to this day.Would make an excellent ''After the Battle''type story, any
        interest?

        Steve
        WC51
      • rrunnersb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2 3:57 PM
          Yes. Good Idea, Swords into plowshares? Lets get photos!

          Jim

        • FLENER AndrĂ©
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2 5:24 PM
            > Speaking of logging machines,here in the Northwest ,(Oregon)is a
            > large amount of converted Shermans and other tracked vehicles.I think
            > this is a subject that is over looked,I have seen many Sherman chassis's
            > working to this day.Would make an excellent ''After the Battle''type
            story,
            > any interest?

            Hi Steve,

            of course, yes indeed! I'm always impressed when I discover pictures of
            'misused' Sherman tanks (and High Speed Tractors, too. As for example the
            'Woodtigers' from SECO.)! And remember, that these vehicles were longer
            working as civilian machines, than as the thing they were actually designed
            to be: A tank! So, if you would have some photo of such logging machines,
            please post them in the files!

            Regards,
            André
          • Kees Huyser
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2 5:47 PM
              At 14:52 -0700 2/9/01, FLYNN1955@... wrote:
              >Speaking of logging machines,here in the Northwest ,(Oregon)is a large
              >amount of converted Shermans and other tracked vehicles.I think this is

              Steve,

              Get the serial numbers, so Hanno can put them on the list of
              surviving Shermans.

              --kees
            • Russ Morgan
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3 8:26 AM
                Margaret, I have some tank parts in Colorado. Please email me off forum and
                I will try to help you. Russ Morgan morganru@...