FOR SALE: Sherman M4A4 s/n 5657

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2000
      Hi all,

      A friend of mine has a Sherman tank for sale: it is an early M4A4 with 75mm
      gun in M34 combination gun mount (first type narrow rotor shield) and direct
      vision slots in front of the driver's hatches (though these were welded shut
      at some point during WW2). It has serial number 5657, which means it is the
      853th M4A4 built (out of a total of 7499) during October 1942. It is
      currently the second oldest known surviving M4A4 (see the Table of known
      serial numbers at http://www.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/ser-tab.htm)
      It sat on a range in Great Britain and thus has many shrapnel marks on the
      outside but no real damage. The interior is rusty but basically complete.
      This Sherman is unrestored, but was made running again with a good
      Continental radial engine. It was repainted on the outside some time ago. It
      is currently located in the Netherlands.
      Serious inquiries only please - contact me for further details.

      Best regards,
      Hanno Spoelstra
    • Geoff Winnington-Ball
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2000
        Hanno,

        M4A4 with "good Continental radial engine"??

        Is this, rather, the M4A1 out of Mill originally? Or is it something else, with
        bastardized power plant?

        Thanks,

        Geoff

        Hanno Spoelstra wrote:

        > A friend of mine has a Sherman tank for sale: it is an early M4A4 with 75mm
        > gun in M34 combination gun mount (first type narrow rotor shield) and direct
        > vision slots in front of the driver's hatches (though these were welded shut
        > at some point during WW2). It has serial number 5657, which means it is the
        > 853th M4A4 built (out of a total of 7499) during October 1942. It is
        > currently the second oldest known surviving M4A4 (see the Table of known
        > serial numbers at http://www.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/ser-tab.htm)
        > It sat on a range in Great Britain and thus has many shrapnel marks on the
        > outside but no real damage. The interior is rusty but basically complete.
        > This Sherman is unrestored, but was made running again with a good
        > Continental radial engine. It was repainted on the outside some time ago. It
        > is currently located in the Netherlands.
      • Joseph DeMarco
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2000
          Hanno wrote:
          "It has serial number 5657, which means it is the
          853th M4A4 built (out of a total of 7499) during October 1942."

          Is there some kind of formula for determining this???

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
            At 19:55 29-01-2000 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: "Joseph DeMarco" <snick@...>
            >
            >Hanno wrote:
            >"It has serial number 5657, which means it is the
            >853th M4A4 built (out of a total of 7499) during October 1942."
            >
            >Is there some kind of formula for determining this???

            I determined this with a table of monthly production figures and the serial
            number ranges assigned to the M4A4.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
              At 17:16 29-01-2000 -0500, you wrote:
              >From: Geoff Winnington-Ball <whiskey@...>
              >
              >Hanno,
              >
              >M4A4 with "good Continental radial engine"??
              >
              >Is this, rather, the M4A1 out of Mill originally? Or is it something else, with
              >bastardized power plant?

              No, it was built as an M4A4, used by the Commonwealth forces during WW2,
              struck off charge, ended up on a range in the UK, and was then saved by a
              collector before it was shot to pieces. He decided to fit a Continental R975
              radial engine instead of the original Chrysler A57 multibank. Like I said,
              it is not restored, but "made running".

              As a matter of fact, after WW2 the French Army converted a lot of M4A4s in
              this manner. They designated it the M4A4T, in which the T stands for
              'Transform´┐Że' or modified. Many of these Shermans were sold to Israel, other
              M4A4T's were modified even further into M50's.

              Hanno
            • Grant W. Rabuse
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
                Good Evening Hanno
                Just thought I should update you with my serial number. M4A4 Sherman 75MM
                5598
                T 288457. Engine number M4-A4-A-1901. Some questions I have on your reserach. If
                my tank had the Britsh T number would it also have had the USA number? And if so
                is there a way for me to determine the correct one. Second. Do you know of any
                way to find the unit my tank was with? Could you give me more information on
                production and dates?

                I would be interested in corisponding with the other owners of M4A4. Could I get
                their address from you.
                Thank You
                Grant