Cuban Army Sherman tanks

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2000
      At 02:39 28-01-2000 +0200, you wrote:
      >Dear Friend!
      >I 'am from Cuba. The cuban army have M4 Sherman in the 50's.
      >I will very glad if you send me a information about this teme.
      >Thankyou
      > Ruben

      Dear Ruben,

      I know that the armoured strength of the Cuban Army was augmented with the
      receipt of seven Sherman medium tanks from the United States in February
      1957. As far as I can tell these were of the M4A3(76)W HVSS type.
      The Battista regime in Cuba used Shermans against Castro's rebels, and these
      remained in service after Castro's takeover. At least one Castro Sherman
      fought against the M41s landed during the abortive Bay of Pigs invasion.

      If more information becomes available, I will let you know.

      Best regards,
      Hanno Spoelstra

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2000
        From: "Tropico" <tropico@...>
        To: "Hanno Spoelstra" <HL.Spoelstra@...>
        Subject: Re: Cuban Army Sherman tanks
        Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 03:40:26 +0200

        Dear Hanno!
        Thankyou for your information.
        I think the information about the Sherman in the Bay of Pigs is not
        correct.
        The Shermans in 1959-1960 in Cuba used for training only. All the Batista's
        tankers were out from the army in 1959. In the 1960 year Cuba begining to
        received in important quantities tanks from USRR and Checozlovaquia (at
        december 1960, more 100) and training tankers in this countries.
        In the Bay of Pigs Castro fought with dozens of T-34, SAU-100 and IS-2.
        Maybe this is interesting for you. What you thing?
        If you receives more information about Shermans, or tanks in Cuba, please,
        send me.
        Thankyou,
        Ruben
      • Joseph DeMarco
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2000
          Hi Joe
          Right now in Cuba is not a Sherman in public display.
          But maybe in the near future will be, because in 1981
          one Sherman was restored for a cuban TV war film
          (with a T-55 motor!) and he now is displays in an
          military units (yet not public displays).
          Ruben

          Thanks for the information, Ruben!
          I look forward to visiting your country &
          getting a couple photos of "your" Sherman
          someday.
          Joe DeMarco