Re: Buried Shermans

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2000
      At 10:04 24-01-2000 +0100, you wrote:
      >From: "Royall, Tim" <Tim.Royall@...-it.com>
      >
      >There was a Sherman uncovered from sand dunes near Bordeaux, France during a
      >storm a few years ago. It's now on display on the coast I believe.

      Tim,

      This must be the same as the one that was uncovered by a gale in February
      1990. It is a Sherman M4A2 that was buried in a sand dune at Arcachon,
      France, after being used as a target on an Air Force range. Many newspapers
      picked up the story.
      After it was rediscovered, the Military Vehicle Conservation Group
      Midi-Pyrennees at Villeneuve-sur-Lot put it back in running condition by
      fitting a truck diesel engine. It is now named "Capitaine Dubrel" and can be
      seen at shows in France. This Sherman was featured in the French V�Mil
      magazine, issue 15 of December 1991.

      Our roving reporter Joe DeMarco also found a newspaper clipping about the
      same Sherman:
      *-*-*-*-*-*
      Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:57:32 -0400
      Subject: [G104] Sherman in France?

      From: "Joseph DeMarco" <snick@...>

      Here's another "oldie" dredged up from my little magazine/newspaper database
      search engines.
      Anyone know the location/status of this one?
      Joe DeMarco

      Life, May 1990 v13 n6 p18(1)
      Ghostly arsenal. (erosion uncovers World War II tank buried on coast of France)

      [illustration: http://www.geocities.com/spoelstra.geo/g104/images/life.jpg%5d

      Full Text: COPYRIGHT Time Inc. 1990
      CAPTION: GHOSTLY ARSENAL "It's a great find," says excavator Thierry Jacques.
      "Everybody had forgotten about it." Used as a practice bombing target after
      World War II, the Sherman M4 tank had gradually disappeared into the dunes
      on the southwest coast of France. Time, wind and rain have stripped away its
      shroud of sand, revealing a grim relic of a conflict fought nearly half a
      century ago.
      *-*-*-*-*-*

      Regarding buried Shermans, there are some more around: the M4A3(76)W HVSS
      with M2 Dozer at the AAF Tank & Ordnance War Memorial Museum at Mattituck,
      NY, USA was buried until 1981 after being used by a local power plant to
      shift coal. When it broke down it was buried because that was the easiest
      method of disposing it. Mr Gasser of the museum bought it for 1 dollar and
      then spent many thousands to recover it. It is the only known Sherman with
      M2 Dozer blade in existence.
      It shows that urban legends can sometimes be true...

      Hanno
    • Joseph DeMarco
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2000
        This was somewhere on the Net:

        Port-en-Bessin: Mus�e des Epaves du Debarquement.

        Located .5 km south of Port-en-Bessin on D 6
        (the main route from Bayeux). The museum of salvaged
        wrecks is the most unusual military museum in Normandy.
        The exhibits include tanks, turrets, ships bells,
        S-P artillery, and many smaller objects salvaged by
        M. Jacques Lemonchois from among the three hundred odd
        wrecks that litter the sea bed off the landing beaches.
        Open daily 1000�1900 during the summer. Admission charge.

        Aren't there 20 or so Sherman DD's still underwater off the
        coast of Normandy? I assume M. Lemonchois might have
        at least parts of one.

        Joe DeMarco