M36B1 90mm GMC's in the US

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      From: <Tankguy40@...>
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:41:02 EST
      Subject: (no subject)
      To: HL.Spoelstra@...

      Hello Hanno,

      My name is George H. Pearce IV I'm retired Army and I volunteer at the
      4th Inf. Div. Museum here at Ft. Hood, TX when I'm not doing anything else.
      What I would like to let you know is that the museum just received an M36B1,
      90mm Gun Motor Carriage, the "Jackson". It is one of only 187 made in 1944,
      it used the M4A3 hull and was modified to take the 90 mm turret of the M36
      Jackson Tank Destroyer. The vehicle was once the property of the Yugoslavian
      army, which it abtained in the '60's as part of U.S. Military Aid Program.
      The only other M36B1 I know of is in the hands of a private collector. The
      Patton Museum at Ft. Knox, KY received an M36 Jackson, with the M10A1 hull at
      about the same time as Ft. Hood and from the same place.
      So, I thought you might like to have this information for you web site.

      Take Care,
      George
    • RSLARCH@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
        Hanno,

        "Jackson" in my copy of The American Arsenal , introduction by Ian Hogg ,
        Greenhill Books, London, 1996, and the M-36 does not appear. They must be
        rare indeed.
        However, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of 20th Century Weapons and Warfare ,
        Phobebus Publishing/BPC Publishing Ltd. (1978 edition) Volume 22, page 2355.
        has an entry for the M36 "Slugger" based on the M10, with a 90 mm gun in an
        open top turret on a factory modified M10 being built by Massey Harris on
        Fisher Body built hulls and turrets. It was standardized in July 1944. It
        says 2324 vehicles were built and some continued in foreign service into the
        late 1970s. The article says they were used in Korea up to 1954. They also
        say some crews were too enthusiastic and attempted to fight it as a tank, and
        this finally led the US Army to give up the idea of the tank destroyer.

        Now anyone near Fort Hood, Texas or to the Patton Museum will have to go see
        these rare vehicles.

        RSL (former4th Infantry Division 1962-3, 4th M.I. Battalion, Order of Battle
        Officer)