Re: [G104] Sherman in Watertown, NY?

  • Joseph DeMarco
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2001
      Judging by the following letter, a Sherman may have been
      donated to the city of Watertown, New York in 1947.
      This could be the M4A3(76)HVSS that is on display at Fort Drum,
      but perhaps one was sent to Watertown itself.
      Anybody ever been through there?

      "Lt. Colonel Frazer W. Rodman
      Office of The Chief of Ordnance
      The Pentagon
      Washington 25, D.C.

      Dear Frazer,

      Per our telephone conversation 9 July 1947 I am enclosing
      General Clarke's Memo to me requesting the donation of one
      (1) each M4 Tank to the city of Watertown, New York.
      Would appreciate your expediting this matter for me.

      As to the funds, if required for transportation and other please
      advise me and I will see what the General or the President of
      the Association can provide.

      Sincerely,
      C.F. Nooncaster
      Lt. Col., Ord. Dept."
    • armorrulesb1102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2001
        Yes and often. The M4A3 (HVSS) 76mm wet is on display in front of the post's
        museum. The cupolas are missing and plated over. I have pictures from 1990
        I took of it. It has since been re-painted. If I can get a friend to scan
        them I'll post them or it I can convince my wife to get me a scanner B/C I
        have hundred's of pictures of vehicles from all over.
        Any one comment on M4A3 75mm (dry)'s at Sea Girt NJ and Boise Idaho yet?
        Also, M4A3 75mm(wet) in Vineland NJ?

        Sea Girt also has unique M48A3 turret on M48A1 gasser hull...
      • paul carrier
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2001
          At 04:05 PM 4/25/01 -0400, you wrote:
          >Yes and often. The M4A3 (HVSS) 76mm wet is on display in front of the post's
          >museum. The cupolas are missing and plated over. I have pictures from 1990
          >I took of it. It has since been re-painted. If I can get a friend to scan
          >them I'll post them or it I can convince my wife to get me a scanner B/C I
          >have hundred's of pictures of vehicles from all over.
          >Any one comment on M4A3 75mm (dry)'s at Sea Girt NJ and Boise Idaho yet?
          >Also, M4A3 75mm(wet) in Vineland NJ?

          I will be in Boise in June, are you talking about the Sherman at Gowen Field ?
          If so I could take some pictures..

          SSG Paul D. Carrier
          Readiness NCO (63H & 45K)
          Det 2 Co. B 145 SPT BN
          Camp Withycombe, Clackamas OR
        • armorrulesb1102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
            That is indeed the one I referred to. Shot a roll of it back in 1992 when I
            was there for M1 NETT. Are all those nicks all over it from small arms
            fire? It is in too good shape to have a range target.
            Try to get S/N so we can find out history?

            best regards,

            Steve

            armor rules!
          • paul carrier
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2 7:34 PM
              At 12:41 PM 4/27/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >That is indeed the one I referred to. Shot a roll of it back in 1992 when I
              >was there for M1 NETT. Are all those nicks all over it from small arms
              >fire? It is in too good shape to have a range target.
              >Try to get S/N so we can find out history?
              >
              >best regards,
              >
              >Steve

              I'll try, we will be there for AT but I have some freedom of movement
              SN is near the ? on the hull.