Re: [G104] Israeli Priests or kangaroos?

  • Tom Gannon
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2001
      They used essentially unmodified M7's in '67 and '73, perhaps afterward. I
      haven't seen evidence that any were re-engined with the Cummins.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2001
        Thanks,
        I would love to model one with the engine deck off the Academy kit and the
        HVSS suspension though.. Maybe I'll do a "WHAT IF...?" I think it would look
        wicked.

        Sincerely,
        Mark

      • Thomas Antonsen
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 15, 2001
          Hi Mark,

          Allthough I can sympatize with the "what if"-idea, please consider the fact, that the Priests were phased out as the IDF found armoured vehicles without overhead cover too dangerous (thats also why the M-10 had to go). So if you want to do a Priest with HVSS and diesel engine, you have to find out some kind of roof/overhead cover - but then there is not far to the L-33.

          Regards Thomas Antonsen

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 15, 2001
            I am an avid armor modeler. I love the Israeli ingenuity. I am sure they
            might have come up with something. I mean they used their half-tracks
            forever and a day.

            Sincerely,
            Mark

          • Peter Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 17, 2001
              As it seems the Israelis did not convert Priests into Kangaroos - which
              would have meant the loss of a useful support vehicle with 105mm howitzer to
              produce a troop carrier which was not as good as the halftracks they had in
              large numbers - avid modellers could model one as a what-if item as they
              could anything else they wanted to. Maybe on an M26 Dragon Wagon tank
              transporter which the IDF apparently never had either?
              Reports that the Israelis have Kangaroos which appeared some months ago on a
              discussion group were the result of an incorrect caption to a poorly printed
              photo in a coffee-table picture book.

              ---
            • Thomas Antonsen
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 17, 2001
                For what it is worth, I agree with Peters remarks, I have never during more than 10 years of research seen any hints indicating the IDF had the Kangaroo (but then again, I have also never seen pictures of the IDF M-728, another great white whale in the IDF)

                Regards Thomas Antonsen

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 17, 2001
                  Kool,
                  I expected that the Israeli's in their fledgling state WOULD have never
                  swapped out a priest for a ROO....just figured they may have acquired some
                  from abroad. I am currently making a M32 recovery vehicle with the HVSS
                  suspension and other Israeli add ons and was thinking a M7 or Kangaroo would
                  look awesome.

                • warfrost@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 17, 2001
                    M-728?

                    Is that the Israeli version of our CEV (Combat Engineer Vehicle)? I never
                    knew they had those either. Do you know if they did?

                  • Thomas Antonsen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 19, 2001
                      I have two sources that state the IDF uses the M-728 CEV, but 'till now no pictures :-(

                      Regards Thomas

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 19, 2001
                        Thanks for the input.

                        =0)