9704Re: [G104] Mystery Sherman [3 Attachments]

    Jun 23, 2014
      Hi Jay,

      >Much to the chagrin of the town historian and Mark, nobody knows the tank’s history--or even what make of Sherman it is.

      "Your" Sherman was made in 1945 by the Pressed Steel Car Co. at their plant in Chicago.
      Given the late date of manufacture, it is more than likely that that tank never left the US during WW II.
      There are quite a few of those cast hull, 76mm Shermans on display in Indiana.
      That suggests that there is / was an armored unit in Indiana, probably based at Camp Atterbury, that used them as training tanks in the post war years.
      When the unit upgraded to newer tanks, the gov't. provided them to various organizations like the National Guard, American Legion or VFW for display as monuments.
      The official designation for that type is M4A1(76)HVSS.

      There was probably a dedication ceremony, so could you ask the town historian if he / she has any photos of when the tank first arrived in Crown Point.
      A lot of times, the tanks still had painted on tactical markings and such from the last unit that used them.

      Joe

      Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 7:45 AM
      Subject: [G104] Mystery Sherman [3 Attachments]

      I hope someone can help my brother and his community.

      My brother is a Methodist minister in the small town of Crown Point, Indiana.  He and I are both avid readers of World War II history.

      Attached are pictures of the Sherman tank resident in the Crown Point town square.  Much to the chagrin of the town historian and Mark, nobody knows the tank’s history--or even what make of Sherman it is.

      According to my brother, the tank carries the following markings:

      --103G27598 on the front, back and sides, in white stencil

      --The raised letter “C” or “G” with a circle around it at the front bottom, followed by CE8543C3510.  The letters “LO” is beneath.

      --6446 stenciled in white on the turret side (as visible in the pictures)

      --1648 in raised metal directly below the turret barrel.

      --Interestingly, the name “Sabrina” is stenciled in several places.

      If anyone can provide any light on this tank, or point me in the right direction to find out, the town of Crown Point, as well as my brother and I, would be eternally grateful.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic