      From: Joe DeMarco <snick13@...>
      To: G104@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [G104] Need some help with a Grant/M3A5 serial number

      Hi Chris,

      I recall talking to Mr. L. about that one.
      As an M3A5 Grant, it is kind of rare.
      Baldwin made both Lees & Grants.
      They stamped the Ordnance Serial Number on their Lees.
      On their Grants, it would appear that they stamped an exact build sequence number with a T prefix.
      So that would have been the 374th Grant they made, & would have been accepted May, 1942.
      At the time of my visit, it had the correct corresponding Brit WD Number painted on T-23877.

      It was sent to Australia as Commonwealth Lend Lease.

      Richard Simmie reported that her sister tank M3A5 T373, T-23876 is at the Puckapunyal Tank Museum.

      It's so sad that Mr Littlefield died so early.

      HTH,

      Joe

      Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:36 AM

      Hello everyone,
      Yes, I know this is the G104 group but since the Lee/Grant was the M4's ancestor, I figured why not.  Plus, there's a bunch of helpful people here with lots of knowledge.
      Anyway, I'm currently helping the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation with the write ups for the vehicle auction this coming July :-(  One of the vehicles that will be auctioned off is the MVTF's Grant/M3A5.  Each of the rear tow lugs are stamped T374.  The interior is a disaster, so I can't find any other information inside.  I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone would have a rough idea of when the vehicle was produced.  The cast in serial number on the turret is 585.  Also on the turret is the Union Steel "U" in a keystone logo.  Most likely the turret is not original as it actually has a coat of paint on it while the rest of the vehicle is a rust bucket inside and out.
      Cheers!
      Chris "toadman" Hughes
      http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com
      http://www.facebook.com/toadmanstankpictures