9605Re: Historic Sherman from TF Baum to be Preserved

  • Dan
    May 13, 2013
      Hanno,

      Do you have pictures of TF Baum? My grandfather was a Staff Sargent on that raid. Also that leads to the story of him being captured. Just recently put some various info together and realized he was one of the chosen few for that fun run.... Thanks for any other leads for TF Baum

      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Hanno Spoelstra <HL.Spoelstra@...> wrote:

      > See http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16002:
      >
      > QUOTE
      >
      > This hulk of a 105mm howitzer armed Sherman, which was apparently one of the
      > three such SP arty vehicles attached to Task Force Baum when they
      > unsuccessfully attempted to liberate the POW camp at Hammelburg, Germany, in
      > late March 1945, is now at a museum. This hulk was found on the ranges at
      > Hammelburg training area several years ago and it appeared on the cover of
      > the "After the Battle" magazine about TF Baum (issue 91). After that, it was
      > no longer used as a hard target and was moved to the site of TF Baum's last
      > stand (still within the training area).
      >
      > In March, the hulk was finally moved to a museum for preservation (they are
      > even talking about eventual restoration). The front cover still retains
      > original stenciling - it's hard to read and I'm not a Sherman researcher,
      > but it says something about closing the drain plugs. (Does anyone have a
      > reference to what these stencils would have said?)
      >
      > This tank was commanded by T/Sgt. Charles Graham of the 10th Armored
      > Infantry (acting platoon leader). It was apparently knocked out by a Hetzer
      > tank destroyer when TF Baum was surrounded and overrun.
      >
      > The tank is now located at the Deutsch-Amerikanisches Nachkriegsmuseum in
      > Rütschenhausen, near Schweinfurt.
      > http://www.nachkriegsmuseum.de/wb/pages/startseite.php
      >
      > UNQUOTE
      > PLEASE NOTE: this e-mail address will be phased out - please use
      >
      > <mcspool@...>
      >
      > from now on

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic