9603Re: [G104] Historic Sherman from TF Baum to be Preserved

    May 11 1:03 PM
      >Does anyone have a reference to what these stencils would have said?

      The extensive stencils on the differential housing are not typical of WW II
      Shermans.
      The bottom part has something about the Batteries [are] Dry.

      The top part is probably shipping code.
      If you can see "ORD II," there should be a 4 letter code before that which
      would indicate the port to which it was sent.

      To give you an idea of the stencils, I've attached a photo dated May 1956 of
      an MDAP M41 arriving at Bremerhaven.
      Just visible is "CLAY" which I would assume was the code for Bremerhaven.

      Just curious, is the smoke mortar hole on the left front of the turret
      welded up on that?

      I corresponded with a gent about Target 25 a few years back.
      He couldn't find the tank's serial number or anything conclusive that would
      indicate when it was built.
      Have you been able to find that since?

      It wouldn't be my intention to burst anyone's bubble, but I suspect the
      assault guns lost by TF Baum would have been M4(105)s with VVSS.