9602RE: [G104] Historic Sherman from TF Baum to be Preserved

  • spoelstra.geo
    May 11, 2013
      Shawn,

      Here you go. You will notice it is in a typically ex-range condition,
      nowhere near the condition Cobra King was in before being restored. BTW, I
      think they did an excellent job on its restoration and I hope the TF Baum
      Sherman is preserved rather than restored (after which it will look like
      just another Sherman...)

      http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16002:

      > QUOTE
      >
      > This hulk of a 105mm howitzer armed Sherman, which was apparently one of
      > the three such SP arty vehicles attached to Task Force Baum when they
      > unsuccessfully attempted to liberate the POW camp at Hammelburg, Germany,
      > in late March 1945, is now at a museum. This hulk was found on the
      > ranges at
      > Hammelburg training area several years ago and it appeared on the cover
      > of the "After the Battle" magazine about TF Baum (issue 91). After that,
      > it was
      > no longer used as a hard target and was moved to the site of TF Baum's
      > last stand (still within the training area).
      >
      > In March, the hulk was finally moved to a museum for preservation (they
      > are
      > even talking about eventual restoration). The front cover still retains
      > original stenciling - it's hard to read and I'm not a Sherman researcher,
      > but it says something about closing the drain plugs. (Does anyone have a
      > reference to what these stencils would have said?)
      >
      > This tank was commanded by T/Sgt. Charles Graham of the 10th Armored
      > Infantry (acting platoon leader). It was apparently knocked out by a
      > Hetzer
      > tank destroyer when TF Baum was surrounded and overrun.
      >
      > The tank is now located at the Deutsch-Amerikanisches Nachkriegsmuseum in
      > Rütschenhausen, near Schweinfurt.
      > http://www.nachkriegsmuseum.de/wb/pages/startseite.php
      >
      > UNQUOTE
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic