9601RE: [G104] Historic Sherman from TF Baum to be Preserved

  • Shawn Ferguson
    May 11, 2013
      Wish I could see the pics. Sadly though, I think this restoration will be more complete than Cobra King's.

      To: G104@yahoogroups.com
      From: HL.Spoelstra@...
      Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 14:18:03 +0200
      Subject: [G104] Historic Sherman from TF Baum to be Preserved

      See http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16002:

      QUOTE

      This hulk of a 105mm howitzer armed Sherman, which was apparently one of the
      three such SP arty vehicles attached to Task Force Baum when they
      unsuccessfully attempted to liberate the POW camp at Hammelburg, Germany, in
      late March 1945, is now at a museum. This hulk was found on the ranges at
      Hammelburg training area several years ago and it appeared on the cover of
      the "After the Battle" magazine about TF Baum (issue 91). After that, it was
      no longer used as a hard target and was moved to the site of TF Baum's last
      stand (still within the training area).

      In March, the hulk was finally moved to a museum for preservation (they are
      even talking about eventual restoration). The front cover still retains
      original stenciling - it's hard to read and I'm not a Sherman researcher,
      but it says something about closing the drain plugs. (Does anyone have a
      reference to what these stencils would have said?)

      This tank was commanded by T/Sgt. Charles Graham of the 10th Armored
      Infantry (acting platoon leader). It was apparently knocked out by a Hetzer
      tank destroyer when TF Baum was surrounded and overrun.

      The tank is now located at the Deutsch-Amerikanisches Nachkriegsmuseum in
      Rütschenhausen, near Schweinfurt.
      http://www.nachkriegsmuseum.de/wb/pages/startseite.php

      UNQUOTE
      PLEASE NOTE: this e-mail address will be phased out - please use

      <mcspool@...>

      from now on

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic