9591Re: What hand-held Flare Gun was installed in a M4A1 Sherman Tank in WWII?

  • Richard Senzig
    Feb 14 12:25 AM
      Hello Joe,

      The tank is a Canadian Grizzly M4A1 Sherman that is being restored as a WWII US Sherman. There is a metal bracket inside the rear of the turret near the radio set that looks like a holder for a pistol case. We assume that it is for a flare pistol. The parts manual states that a M4 Flare Launcher was kept in the command tank.

      Best regards, Rick

      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" wrote:

      > Hi Rick,
      >
      > There's no mention of a flare gun in the On Vehicle Materials lists in the various US Tech Manuals.
      > A 1944 TM lists 12 flares in a box over the battery box.
      > Is your friend's a British or Canadian M4A1? They may have added a flare gun to their OVM.
      > Or perhaps you are you thinking of the 2 inch Smoke Mortar?
      > The Brits requested that, & it was factory & depot installed in the turret starting around Fall 1943.
      > Most crews found it to be in the way, so that it was ordered removed in 1945.
      >
      > Joe

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic