9521M4A1E9 in Grafenwohr

  • Michael Lembo
    Sep 27, 2012
         I had a chance to take a closer look at the M4A1E9 that is displayed in front of the Post HQ in Grafenwohr. It was moved to the current location a few years ago, was originally in front of the old 7th ATC HQ on the West end of the parade field.

        The serial number is 52582, stamped in the upper right corner of the transmission housing (attached photo)  That number is also stamped into the dataplate location, but I did not get a good enough photo of it.  I checked the rear hull sides for a build number but there is nothing showing through the paint anywhere, on either side.  I could see a trace of the serial number on the front so I knew where to scrape, but since the build nos. are not always in exactly the same location, I can't just scrape up the sides digging for a number. It must be stamped lightly enough to not show through.  I will have to keep track of the re-paint schedules and try to get a look at the sides whenever it gets sandblasted/repainted.

        The escape hatch is in place and the other hatches are welded shut, but the loader's hatch just has a bolt stuck through the hasp and the hinges still move freely, so I was able to get inside. On the firewall the upper hull serial no. is 3499 (Continental, Wheeling), but the plate with the heat treatment no. is too rusted to read. There is still a mount in the loader's station for a VRC-3 radio, so it had that modification as well.

        The turret number is covered by spare track, so I looked for a number cast into the roof. Only part numbers were cast there but 1935 was stamped in just to the right of the removed spotlight mount.  On the back of the turret No.675 was stamped in. Since both those numbers end with 5, and 5 is the only cast number visible alongside the track blocks, I had to take them off to confirm the SN.  Under the first block on the right side of the turret was the number 935, I pulled the second one away far enough to see a "1" under it, so the turret is SN 1935, with a "2" above the cast numbers.

        I get 3085134 as an RN, would the mfg date be about Nov.44 like the one in Pilsen?

        If anyone wants more photos, let me know.

      Michael

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic