      From: G104@yahoogroups.com [mailto:G104@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael Lembo
      Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:16 AM
      To: G104@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [G104] Tanks in Hohenfels, Germany

      Hello all members.

      I am a civilian contractor (US Army Retired) working at the US post in Hohenfels, Germany.  We have here an M4A1(76)W on display in front of the HQ building.  It is unusual in that is has a muzzle brake and attachments on the mantlet for the canvas cover, but still has VVSS suspension.  I have only been able to find 3 wartime photos of an M4A1 in this configuration, and none of them have the mantlet cover attachments.  The Osprey book on the 76 Gun M4 says a small batch of these arrived in the ETO in the spring of '45.  It has too much paint for me to find a serial number, and it is right in front of the HQ, so I can't just walk up and start wire brushing the SN locations.  I am working on getting Command approval to investigate it.  I will send a photo as soon as I get one.  I am also working on restoring an M24 Chaffee which belongs to the Army here as well. If anyone has a database of serial numbers for these also, I need whatever info can be found on M24 Ser# 5540, Hull number is:  lightly stamped "H" followed by a deeper stamped "C", number 721, flanked by ordnance bombs.  It has floatation device attachments only on the rear, never were installed in front.  Has the early type antenna mount, but the later type gun tube (could be replaced tube).  It had all the 1950's commo modifications, but it has now been backdated to the original config.  Any info on these two will be greatly appreciated.

      Michael Lembo