7792Re: [G104] 30 surviving DD Shermans??

    Feb 2, 2008
      Hi Pierre-Olivier,

      First of all, thanks for searching for all those surviving Shermans and
      putting them on-line. It's a great part of the hobby I (sadly) cannot find
      the time for anymore.

      The listing you refer to was compiled ten years ago. Below follow the
      records I have on surviving Sherman DDs (not up-to-date):

      1) Sherman DD - 10 ea., 4 to 7 miles off the coast between ARROMANCHES and
      GRANDCAMP, F
      2) M4A1 DD, Musee Des Epaves Sous-Marines, COMMES (near Port-en-Bessin), F
      3) M4A1(75) DD, Musee Des Epaves Sous-Marines, COMMES (near Port-en-Bessin), F
      4) M4A4 DD / Sherman V DD, Place 6 Juin, COURSEULLES-SUR-MER, F
      5) Sherman DD - 8 ea., off the coast near Juno Beach, COURSEULLES-SUR-MER, F
      6) Sherman DD, LA NARTELLE, F
      7) M4A1(76)W DD, Musee des Blindes, SAUMUR, F
      8) M4A2 DD / Sherman III DD, Tank Museum, BOVINGTON CAMP, Wareham, Dorset,
      GB

      9) M4A1 DD, Bishopstrow Down, Warminster range, SALISBURY PLAIN Training
      Area, Wiltshire, GB
      10) M4A1 DD w/o turret, Bishopstrow Down, Warminster range, SALISBURY PLAIN
      Training Area, Wiltshire, GB
      11) M4A4 DD w/o turret, Battlesbury Bowl, Warminster range, SALISBURY PLAIN
      Training Area, Wiltshire, GB
      12) Sherman DD, Battlesbury Bowl, Warminster range, SALISBURY PLAIN Training
      Area, Wiltshire, GB
      13) M4A1(75) DD, Slapton Beach, TORCROSS, Devon, GB
      14) M4A2(76)W HVSS DD III, Ordnance Museum, ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, MD, USA

      Hope this helps,
      Hanno

      At 19:34 2-2-2008 -0000, you wrote:
      >Hello,
      >
      >I have a question regarding the "RECORDED SHERMAN FAMILY" from Hanno
      >Spoelstra.
      >
      >http://www.geocities.com/shermanregister/bytype.html?20082
      >
      >He mentions "30 Duplex Drive Shermans" at the bottom of the list. I
      >know only 8 of them :
      >
      >1 in the USA (Aberdeen - HVSS)
      >2 in the UK (Bovington and Torcross - exercise Tiger monument)
      >1 in Italy (Piana delle Orme)
      >4 in France (2 in the Arromanches Dday wrecks museum, 1 in
      >Courseulles-sur-Mer and 1 in Saumur Tank Museum)
      >
      >Are there other DD tanks and if yes, where are they located?
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Pierre-Olivier
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic