      From: joseph.hall3@...
      To: G104@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:09 AM
      Subject: Re: [G104] Re: LST 325 is in search of a sherman for our tank deck

      Mr Rutter-
      I'm an active duty Army Sr. NCO stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA.
      As you may or may not know, the Army is going through another down sizing in Europe. I left there late last year and many plans are being set in motion. Almost every kaserne there -kaserne is like a fort here in the states-has some sort of vehicle on display.I've been in touch with a few of the museum directors to see what was going to become of alot of these, since these things are every bit the veteran as the Soldiers who manned them. That's my opinion, but I believe it is shared by many like me. Some will be moved to kasernes that are still active, some will be put in a storage area, where they will probably finish out their days. Believe it or not, these things are still on the books and are accounted for and subject to inspection. Restorers will argue that they are just rotting away, which in reality, they are, but they are still government property. I had the good fortune to have permission from the Center for Military History to maintain a running M4A1 Sherman and sev
      eral halftracks while in Europe this last tour and even though it was all volunteer work and largely out of pocket, it is an experience I would never pass up.
      Anyway, you may want to get in touch with the Center for Military History, the keeper of all these artifacts. Using my name probably won't do you any good, since I'm just another small gear in the big green machine.
      I think it's worth a try for you. Hell, for an organization that can make a 60 year old ship seaworthy and then sail it accross the Atlantic this ought to be as easy as falling off a log!
      Please stay in touch and best of luck to you and all those involved in this worthwhile venture.
      Sincerely,
      Sergeant Major Joseph Hall
      Ft. Lewis WA