Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

  • Daniel Boese
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
      "Just the two of us", so far; after posting to sfconsim-l,
      soc.history.what-if, and sjgames.chatter about two hours ago, I
      honestly expected more people to have applied by now. Oh well.

      For the nonce - this is the only subject which shrinks every day
      (assuming non-infinite time), so we might as well start off with
      something that's going to be over with shortly...

      According to St. Malachy of Ireland's list of popes, the next one
      that the cardinals will elect is going to be "Gloria Olivae",
      the 'glory of the olive'. What might that mean? A cardinal from Italy
      or Greece... or a Hispanic one from the New World?

      Thank you for your time,
      --
      Daniel Boese, aka DataPacRat, aka VA3BOS
      "Niagara is a state of mind."
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
        Daniel Boese wrote:
        > According to St. Malachy of Ireland's list of popes, the next one
        > that the cardinals will elect is going to be "Gloria Olivae",
        > the 'glory of the olive'. What might that mean? A cardinal from Italy
        > or Greece... or a Hispanic one from the New World?

        A choice between "glory of the land of the olives"
        or "glory of the olive-skinned".
        A Hispanic one from the New World seems like a strained
        conclusion to me.
      • Daniel Boese
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
          --- In Future-History@yahoogroups.com, Nyrath the nearly wise
          <nyrathwiz@c...> wrote:
          > Daniel Boese wrote:
          > > According to St. Malachy of Ireland's list of popes, the next one
          > > that the cardinals will elect is going to be "Gloria Olivae",
          > > the 'glory of the olive'. What might that mean? A cardinal from
          Italy
          > > or Greece... or a Hispanic one from the New World?
          >
          > A choice between "glory of the land of the olives"
          > or "glory of the olive-skinned".
          > A Hispanic one from the New World seems like a strained
          > conclusion to me.

          When dealing with centuries-old prophecies, just about everything is
          a 'strained conclusion'.

          According to http://www.oddschecker.com/betting/mode/o/card/specials-
          politics/odds/124960x/sid/240720 , the top runner is Dionigi
          Tettamanzi
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionigi_Cardinal_Tettamanzi), from
          Italy, at about 3/1 odds... the next two are Francis Arinze
          (Nigerian) and Joseph Ratzinger (German), a bit over 5/1.

          Thank you for your time,
          --
          DataPacRat
        • Daniel Boese
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
            Daniel Boese wrote:
            > Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:
            > > Daniel Boese wrote:

            > > > According to St. Malachy of Ireland's list of popes, the next
            > > > one that the cardinals will elect is going to be "Gloria
            > > > Olivae", the 'glory of the olive'. What might that mean? A
            > > > cardinal from Italy or Greece... or a Hispanic one from the New
            > > > World?

            > > A choice between "glory of the land of the olives"
            > > or "glory of the olive-skinned".
            > > A Hispanic one from the New World seems like a strained
            > > conclusion to me.

            > When dealing with centuries-old prophecies, just about everything
            > is a 'strained conclusion'.
            >
            > According to
            > http://www.oddschecker.com/betting/mode/o/card/specials-
            > politics/odds/124960x/sid/240720 , the top runner is Dionigi
            > Tettamanzi
            > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionigi_Cardinal_Tettamanzi), from
            > Italy, at about 3/1 odds... the next two are Francis Arinze
            > (Nigerian) and Joseph Ratzinger (German), a bit over 5/1.

            I've just learned of a site, where you can put your money where your
            mouth is (or take a brief survey to get $1.20 to place a single
            entry): http://www.poolitics.com/vat2 .

            Thank you for your time,
            --
            DataPacRat