EVANA Newsletter January 2009

  • tachi salas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009

      De: EVANA <news@...>
      Asunto: EVANA Newsletter January 2009
      Fecha: viernes, 30 enero, 2009 2:14

      European Vegetarian and Animal News Alliance (EVANA)
      Newsletter January 2009

       In this issue you can read about:
      1. Vegetarianism
      2. Global Hunger

      3. Meat kills climate
      4. Whaling
      5. Fur
      6. Transport
      7. Pigs
      8. Book/Film/Song/Video
      9.  Recommended Mailinglists

      =================================

      1. Finally - politicians discover the benefits of vegetarianism

      European Union:
      -European Parliament's Temporary Committee on Climate Change: '...reduce
      meat consumption'/A report voted .by the European Parliament's Temporary
      Committee on Climate Change
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40260&lang=en

      -Jens Holm, MEP Sweden: 'We should abolish meat subsidies, let meat bear its
      own environmental costs and work to make modern vegetarian food cheaper'
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40259&lang=en

      Germany:
      -Even  in a country with one of the highest percentages of meat consumers
      the federal environment agency recommended to leave  "Schnitzel off the
       menu".
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40958&lang=en

      UK:
      -On 26 January the Guardian published the remarkable article "Hospitals will
      take meat off menus in bid to cut carbon"
      Note: When those responsible for the publish health system of a country
      consider cutting meat as contribution to "Saving Carbon, Improving
       Health"....that's quite a breakthrough in the right direction!
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40937&lang=en

      USA:
      -Barack Obama Asks Us To Re-Examine Food Policy
      Quote: "The fact that we subsidize some of these big, agribusiness
      operations that are not necessarily producing healthy foods, and we
      discourage, or we don't subsidize farmers who are producing fruits and
      vegetables and small scale farming that gets produce immediately to
      consumers as opposed to having it processed. The fact that we're not doing
      more to ensure that healthy food is in the schools. All those things don't
      make sense. It is important for us to re-examine our overall food policy."
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40934&lang=en

      -Chicago Health Commissioner Says, 'Go Veg!'
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40536&lang=en

      More veggie snippets:

      -MyPyramid USA: Vegetarian diets can meet all the recommendations for
      nutrients
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40880&lang=en

      -Ronald McDonald Turns Vegetarian
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40859&lang=en

      -USA: More kids going vegetarian
      Nutrition experts say kids are never too young to become vegetarians....
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40544&lang=en

      2. The consumption of meat is growing - and so is global hunger

      Billions face food shortages, study warns
      Half of the world's population could face severe food shortages by the end
      of the century as rising temperatures take their toll on farmers' crops,
      scientists have warned....
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40496&lang=en

      Europe:  Global food security: more European initiatives needed say MEPs
      The European Parliament calls for "immediate and continuous action" to
      ensure global food security..
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40613&lang=en

      UNICEF feels the pinch of the food price crisis
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40991&lang=en

      UN debates global food cost rise
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40943&lang=en

      PS:  Please sign the petition 'Food vs Feed' and inform others about it.
      Thanks!
      http://un.evana.org/ (23 languages)
      Comment (signature 10503): "By eating meat, we are eating the food of
      hundreds of other people"

      3. Meat kills climate

      Meat-eating is killing the Amazon
      One of the main Brazilian newspapers reported today that ranchers account
      for 76% of forest clearing in the Amazon, according to new, more reliable
      data. But there's no point panicking and not doing anything about it: give
      up on all animal products and you'll be doing your share to help mitigate
      the human impact on the environment.
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40258&lang=en

      WSPA: Eating our future/The environmental impact of industrial animal
      agriculture
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40771&lang=en

      Climate change, meat eating and the environment/Excerpt: It's important to
      note too that even if we ignore the effect of aerosols, animal agriculture
      is also a major source of carbon dioxide emissions
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40323&lang=en

      Veg Climate Alliance: Open letter to President Obama
      'in many ways, a dietary shift by you and an education campaign to increase
      awareness of the urgency of a major shift toward plant-based diets would be
      a great step toward reaching many of your goals'
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40767&lang=en

      Food needs 'fundamental rethink'
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40319&lang=en

      4. Is the Japanese whaling fleet jinxed?

      A crewman on a Japanese whaling ship is presumed dead
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40351&lang=en
      Hurt Japanese whalers http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40916&lang=en
      European Parliament: Press Release - Call for action to eliminate whaling
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40773&lang=en
       Japanese whaling fleet endures rising tide of opposition
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40642&lang=en
       Japan whalers scared of arrest in Australia, activists say
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40509&lang=en
       Japan snubbed over anti-whaling ship
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40409&lang=en
       Gov't Funded Whaling Has Become 'Unprofitable' in Japan
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40368&lang=en
        Japan's whaling town residents have dangerously high levels of mercury
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=38493&lang=en

      5. Fur - Animals have no possessions whatsoever and we don't even allow them
      to keep their skins

      EU: Commissioner Vassiliou welcomes entry into force of ban on imports,
      exports and trade in cat and dog fur
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40362&lang=en
      more: EU: Animal Welfare - Cat and Dog Fur
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40347&lang=en

      Over 4.000.000 Karakul Lambs Are Being Slaughtered Each Year
      It is unbelievable but it really happens! Over 4.000.000 karakul lambs are
      being slaughtered each year to provide people with a fashionable coat, a
      collar, a pair of boots or even a swimsuit. (...)
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40661&lang=en

      Fat Chicks and Furry Beasts Menace Karl Lagerfeld
      Delightfully insane fashion person Karl Lagerfeld is not afraid to formulate
      patently ridiculous defenses of decadence. Fur is bad and models are too
      skinny? More like animals are dangerous and girls are too fat!
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40308&lang=en

      6. Animals' trip to hell

      EU/Animal transport: MEPs debate non-enforcement of rules
      The chair of Parliament's Agriculture Committee Neil Parish said that
      reports he received from organisations contain "significant evidence that
      the existing legislation is not being enforced in several member states"....
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40603&lang=en

      STOP Long Animal Transports http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40534&lang=en

      Italy: Lorry Driver Given Prison Sentence for Causing Suffering and Death to
      Animals
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=39962&lang=en

      7. Pigs - Magnificent animals in urgent need of a strong lobby

      Please, meet cutie Kingsford
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=41045&lang=en

      Pigs Peace Sanctuary: The story of Libby, a huge farm pig
      Judy: If you came here and met Libby you might notice how calm and gentle
      she is; you might gaze into her eyes and see the look of a special friend.
      You might find that particular spot behind her eyes she loves to have
      scratched and then you might see her smile....
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40826&lang=en

      Celeste's story--the story of a pig rescued from one of those 'humane'
      family farms
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40314&lang=en

      UK: Alarm over cruelty behind the bacon on our breakfast plates
      Two thirds of pork, bacon and ham imported into Britain are from pigs reared
      on the Continent in cruel farm conditions that are banned in the UK..
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40560&lang=en

      China: Dead, Diseased Pigs Sold for Food
      Six people have been detained in southern China's Guangdong Province for
      allegedly running a network that processed and sold meat from dead and
      diseased pigs.
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40556&lang=en

      Welfare doesn't come into it' ...the truth behind the European pig
      industry - and so behind most of the pork we eat
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40390&lang=en

      Genetically Modified Pigs to be Bred for Organ Transplant Harvesting
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40903&lang=en

      Holland-Live pigs by road to Russia/Animal Rights activists  have been
      trying to outlaw the trade with no success....
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40669&lang=en

      8. Book/Film/Song/Video

      Book: Don't Defend Animals: not in France, not anywhere (And that's that!)
      by Guenady---Vegetarianism and Animal Defense in France, including profiles
      of Animal
      Defenders, an American Expat's Observations on French Society, and original
      recipes from France's only vegan restaurant (le Speakeasy, in Nice)
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40870&lang=en

      Film/Documentary: 'The Cove'....
      .... tells the story of O'Barry's mission to obtain hard evidence of what
      goes on in Taiji. Eco-activist documentaries don't get much more compelling
      than "The Cove,"
      an impassioned piece of advocacy filmmaking that follows "Flipper"
      trainer-turned-marine crusader Richard O'Barry in his efforts to end dolphin
      slaughter in Taiji, Japan.
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=40820&lang=en

      Song: Reinhard Mey - Erbarme Dich (Video and song about horse transport in
      German)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqnxB0GFRJ4

      Video/Jeremy Rifkin: The Link Between Meat Eating and Climate Change
      http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=39664&lang=en

      9. Recommended mailing lists
      If  you interested in the exchange of information the following
      mailing lists may be of interest to you:

      English
      --animal_net/English *
      http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/animal_net/
      --Vegetarian Community