SEMINAR: GET POLITICAL FOR ANIMALS & CONFERENCE UPDATE

  • Anti-Fur Society
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2013
      To receive email from Anti-Fur Society, add antifursociety@... to your safe sender list.
      View as Web Page Subscribe Unsubscribe Send to a Friend Preferences
      The Anti-Fur Society
      Bookmark and Share

      Seminar: Get Political for Animals
      A SEMINAR NOT TO BE MISSEDSATURDAY, JUNE 1

      PLEASE NOTE:  If you are using Windows Live Mail, this newsletter may look distorted on your screen.  If so, please click on this link to better view our newsletter. Thank you:   http://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/email/newsletter/1411671231

      MEET JULIE LEWIN!

      Julie is President and founder of the National Institute for Animal Advocacy www.nifaa.org, an organization that trains advocates to win strong state and local laws and vigorous enforcement of them, through political action. She is author of the highly-praised comprehensive how-to book, “Get Political for Animals and Win the Laws They Need in Your Town, City, County or State—and the Simple Steps It Takes to Do It.” Her book, webinars and workshops for groups, conferences, colleges and law schools are helping to establish a long overdue political culture among advocates and, as a result, NIFAA has spawned many new political groups for animals.  Julie teaches every aspect of how to launch a political group and deal with lawmakers and has been recognized as a highly-skilled strategist to be reckoned with. She successfully worked to help pass the first state law in the US that banned unlimited dog chaining, among other victories.

      GET POLITICAL FOR ANIMALS AND WIN THE LAWS THEY NEED”
      If you want to be empowered in helping animals, you will need to get political and learn how to do effective lobbying. This seminar will teach you the basic step by step process of how to go about effectively lobbying for animals.

      Whether you're interested in starting your own 501(c) (3) non-profit organization or a 501 (c) (4), which can be both political and non-profit, it is vital that you learn the in's and out's from start to finish. Either path represents a daunting task if you don't know or are not familiar with the basic objectives and requirements. This seminar will offer an overview of the entire process and help you decide which type of organization is best for you.

      But even if none of the above is of particular interest to you, this seminar will still be of great value in your efforts to help animals because it will teach you how to take actions that can enhance rather than decrease your chances of having success in advocating for animals in the work that you do.

      This seminar will be taught in two parts for a total of 130 minutes. Be sure to secure your place. For more information on this seminar >>>CLICK HERE

      SEMINAR SCHEDULE: Saturday/Sunday, June 1st/2nd-Time TBA.

      WHERE:
      Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
      801 N Saint Asaph Street,
      Alexandria, VA 22314

      THIS SEMINAR IS AVAILABLE TO ALL REGISTRANTS; REGISTER HERE: CLICK

      SEE OUR SPEAKER'S LIST SO FAR: CLICK HERE

      THIS IS A 100% VEGAN CONFERENCE - But all are welcome to participate and learn in a very friendly and collegial atmosphere.

      PS:  In case you missed it, here's our last newsletter:

      WILL YOU HELP SPONSOR AN ACTIVIST?
      Many qualified speakers and activists who could benefit from and contribute to this unique conference won’t be able to do so because of financial constraints. We are trying to help them. By contributing as little as $5 you can help a student/activist get a grant from the Misha Foundation that will enable him/her to join us.  Every donation helps. Thank you!

      WHAT IS THE FOCUS OF OUR CONFERENCE & WHY

      Each year the AFS Conference faces the dilemna of having to choose among the most pressing animal advocacy issues that we would like to address and have the Conference focus on. And while we would like to cover many more areas of animal rights activism and concern, the style and format we have chosen for our sessions will allow only enough time to cover a limited number of issues in depth. We schedule only ONE session at a time, in order to offer our panels of noted speakers, sufficient time to cover a topic and address participant questions. We are a "boutique" conference where our focus is more on content and quality than numbers. We value a friendly, congenial atmosphere where speakers and attendees have the opportunity to chat informally and are not subjected to the stress of having to dash about and choose among conflicting concurrent sessions. We think you will enjoy and profit from this. These are the topics that will be featured at the 2013 Conference:

      1) Protecting Fur-Bearing Animals 2) Getting Political for Animals 3) The Deadly Waste in Animal Research/Testing  4) Betrayal of America's Horses 5) Animals in the Food Chain

      How Do We Change Laws in Order to Protect Fur-Bearing Animals?

      When one mentions anti-fur activism, the images that pop up are generally of hideous Chinese fur farms, and perhaps, Fur Free Friday protests in front of Macy's or Neiman Marcus. But horrific cruelty to fur-bearing animals could be happening right in your back yard, and not only on US fur farms, but also in the wild. Fur farms worldwide, are extremely inhumane. Even the myth of the so called “ethical” fur farms in Scandinavian countries has been exposed and debunked after investigators in those countries discovered the horrific cruelty suffered by the animals in their miserable cages before meeting a brutal death.

      Wildlife is considered fair game, and nothing more than "vermin", "varmits". There are no laws to protect them from extreme abuse in the wild or, for that matter, on fur farms. Hunted and trapped in the wild, they are subjected to all sorts of barbaric cruelties including being torn apart while still alive, by packs of vicious dogs trained to kill wildlife. Hunting, a multi-billion dollar industry, which feeds the coffers of the gun and allied industries, as well as state wildlife agencies, remains a major "untouchable" and sanctioned totem in this country. Bear baiting/tethering is also legal and there are many states such as South Carolina that shamefully still allow it. Cruelty to these animals is protected under the law.

      Additionally, children are being trained by their parents to be animal killers from ages so young, they don’t even realize what is happening. What kind of society can we expect in the future with children devoid of compassion for sentient beings?

      So, what can be done? If we hope and expect to end the suffering of innocent animals, laws will have to change the attitudes with them. We hope you will find some of these answers at the AFS/Animal Rights Conference!

      ANTI-FUR SOCIETY

      ANTI-FUR SOCIETY CONFERENCE

      AT LAST SOME GOOD NEWS! LET'S KEEP IT COMING!

      We are extremely happy to share some great news, received during the past few days:

      VICTORY!!!  FUR FREE SLOVENIA!!!
      Slovenia, a small country surrounded by Italy, Austria and Croatia has become the first country in the world to BAN FUR! In three years, no fur farms will be allowed in Slovenia or fur trade of any kind. This represents a great victory for animal rights in that country and indeed to all of us around the world. It brings hope that we too, can do the same, if we join forces together and become one strong voice. This sends the message loud and clear that it is possible to defeat a vile and pernicious industry such as the fur industry. Once these amazing laws come into effect in Slovenia, animal rights activists will surely dedicate themselves to other major animal issues. That’s the most effective way to go: One evil stripped off at a time!

      And if that were not enough, there is more good news. Slovenia has also taken another bold step, which is to ban all animals in circuses!

      Congratulations to the good people of Slovenia for achieving two winnable battles for the animals.

      VIVISECTION FREE EUROPE:
      The European Parliament has banned vivisection in Europe! Click here to learn more  It will be illegal to practice vivisection in the countries that are under the European Treaty; as a consequence, countless millions of animals will be spared gruesome, unnecessary and unconscionable cruelty. Among these victims, the rabbit has been one of the most exploited animals on the planet, and has surely won her place as the poster child for animal rights activism. Rabbits are used for meat, fur, entertainment, vivisection, and the laws that protect most animals do not apply to rabbits. In this, they are almost as devoid of protection as wildlife. This new law in Europe will greatly benefit these animals and will spare them from the most horrific cruelty: vivisection! We must continue to work to see that humane laws such as these are passed in the United States, as well.  Congratulations are also in order to the good people of the EU!

      Thank you for reading our newsletter!

      PLEASE DONATE TO HELP AN ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST:
      AFS ConferenceLIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

      ANTI-FUR SOCIETY

      The Anti-Fur Society • P.O.Box 10183 • Greensboro, NC 27404-0183
      http://www.antifursociety.org
      Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Send to a Friend | Preferences | Report Spam