The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act (Prop 2) Passes in California!

  • tachi salas
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008

      SOP horizontal logo
      "The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act", also known as Prop 2, passes in an historic vote in California.  Prop 2 will ban three cruel factory farm animal confinement systems: veal crates, gestation crates and battery cages.

      Prop 2 passes pic
      Photo courtesy of "Yes on Prop 2"

      Proposition 2 Passes in California

      Dear Tachi,

      It was announced this morning that "The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act", also known as Proposition 2, passed overwhelmingly by voters in California last night.  Prop 2 is monumental because it will ban three cruel factory farm animal confinement systems in California by the year 2015.  It will affect millions of farm animals in the largest agricultural production state in the country!

      press release from Farm Sanctuary this morning made the following statement: "With the passage of Prop 2, California becomes the 5th state to outlaw gestation crates (joining Florida, Arizona, Oregon and Colorado) and the third to outlaw veal crates (joining Arizona and Colorado).  Perhaps most significantly, it becomes the first state to ban battery cages for laying hens, who are killed in far greater numbers than either pigs or calves."

      The Humane Society of the United States also issued a press release this morning and HSUS President Wayne Pacelle stated on his blog that, "it's a very big thing for a hen who would otherwise be confined with a half-dozen other birds in a cage about as big as a filing cabinet for her whole life. It's a really big thing for a sow who would otherwise be stuck in a crate so small she couldn't turn around. It's a way big thing for a calf who would spend life chained inside a miserably tiny crate."

      In addition, Farm Sanctuary stated in their press release that, "California's new law against farm animal cruelty holds the potential to spark an unstoppable precedent for change in the way farm animals are treated nationwide."  Farm Sanctuary, HSUS and other animal protection organizations have actively campaigned for the passage of Prop 2 this year, as have others in the "Yes on Prop 2" coalition, Hollywood celebrities and major national newspapers.  To see what is included in the ban, you can read the wording of "The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act" here.

      It is clear the general public is becoming more aware of the abusive factory farm animal practices that are "business as usual" in the meat, egg and dairy industries throughout the country.  Undercover video investigations from inside stockyards & slaughterhouses have aired on major news networks, television talk shows and websites this year, often inspiring viewers to explore the many benefits a plant-based diet.

      As a result of this growing public knowledge, many individuals will likely decide to adopt, or transition to, a compassionate vegetarian lifestyle -- where animals are not confined, abused or slaughtered for consumption.  This is the great change our world needs and the passage of Prop 2 is laying a foundation to bring forth that change!

      For all animals,

      Kristen Lee Ohanyan
      President & Co-founder

      About Us
      Society of P.E.A.C.E. (People for the Earth, Animals, Compassion & Enlightenment) is a Houston-based Animal rights advocacy and vegan outreach organization. We are dedicated to promoting PEACE and Compassion for ALL Beings through education, outreach and advocacy. We are 100% volunteer-based and rely on the support and generosity of our members.

      Join our Activist Network to receive to our monthly E- newsletter, action alerts, special events announcements and more. Basic membership is free!

      Members are also invited to sign up for our optional message board forum on Yahoogroups.

      Learn how you can support our work through donations and supplying items from our "wish list"!

      Newsletter: Copyright 2008 Society of P.E.A.C.E.  All Rights Reserved.
      Permission to forward as written. (See our convenient "forward email" link below)

      email: info@...
      Phone: (832) 722-1376

      Safe Unsubscribe
      This email was sent to tachigb@... by societyofpeacenetwork@....
      Society of PEACE | PO BOX 6128 | Katy (Houston) | TX | 77491-6128