SEC Adopts Hedge Fund Adviser Registration Requirement

  • Baker, John
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2004
      The Securities and Exchange Commission today finally issued its adopting release requiring the registration of most investment advisers to hedge funds. Release No. IA-2333 (Dec. 2, 2004). The adopting release is 160 pages long, including 55 pages defending the need for the rule changes and the SEC's authority to adopt them and a strongly-worded 31-page dissent by Commissioners Glassman and Atkins.

      An obvious question is whether hedge fund managers that are not required to register with the SEC, because they have less than $30 million under management or because they have fewer than 15 clients even after applying the new rules, must register at the state level. Of course, this generally will be determined by state laws and regulations. However, Section 222(d) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 provides a national de minimis standard for state registration: a state may not require an adviser to register with its state securities authority unless the adviser has a place of business located within the state or has had, during the preceding 12-month period, at least six clients who are residents of that state. The SEC adopted rule changes to clarify that advisers and their supervised persons shall not apply the new "look-through" rules when counting clients to apply the national de minimis standard.

      The SEC's adopting release is available online at

      http://www.sec.gov/rules/final/ia-2333.pdf

      John M. Baker <JMB@...>
      Stradley, Ronon, Stevens & Young, LLP http://www.stradley.com
      1220 19th Street, N.W., Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036
      (202) 419-8413 Fax (202) 822-0140
      FundLaw Listowner http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fundlaw