FSOC Adopts Nonbank Financial Companies Rule and Guidance

  • Baker, John
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 5:04 PM
      The Financial Stability Oversight Council has adopted a final rule and interpretive guidance concerning its standards and processes for determining that a nonbank financial company shall be supervised by the Federal Reserve Board and subject to prudential standards under the Dodd-Frank Act. The rules and interpretive guidance were adopted substantially as proposed, with clarifications in response to commenter concerns. The rules and guidance will be effective 30 days after publication in the Federal Register, and the FSOC said it will immediately begin the process of evaluating nonbank financial companies.

      The FSOC indicated that it is analyzing the extent to which there are potential threats to U.S. financial stability arising from asset management companies and may develop additional guidance regarding potential metrics and thresholds relevant to them. For the time being, however, the FSOC intends to evaluate asset managers under the current interpretive guidance. The FSOC does not intend to conduct cost-benefit analyses in making determinations with respect to individual nonbank financial companies.

      My prior post concerning the most recent version of the proposed rule and guidance, reproduced below, continues to be largely accurate in describing the rule and guidance as adopted. Instead of a $20 billion threshold for loans and bonds outstanding, however, the final guidance provides a $20 billion threshold for total debt outstanding, broadly defined.

      The FSOC's final rule is available at

      http://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/fsoc/Documents/Nonbank%20Designations%20-%20Final%20Rule%20and%20Guidance.pdf

      The FSOC has also provided a two-page fact sheet, at

      http://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Documents/Nonbank%20Financial%20Company%20Designations%20Final%20Rule%20and%20Interpretive%20Guidance%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

      For the most recent version of the proposed rule and guidance, see

      https://federalregister.gov/a/2011-26783

      John M. Baker <JMB@...>
      Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young, LLP http://www.stradley.com
      1250 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 500