Re: Bagginses Birthday at Farrells on Sept. 22.

  • calafalas11
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
      The Hobbit dude and I will attend the Bagginses Birthday Party. We also concur with the McClatchy library meeting place. Wednesday evening works better for us, but we'll see how it goes.

      --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

      > Farrell's Ice Cream at Watt and Arden Way.
      > I will put this down for 1 p.m. if that is alright with everyone?
      > Also, I will post this on the SacGeek webpage.
      > FYI: Sept. 22 also happens to be the Equinox and the day I married my lovely wife! No, we did not have a hobbit themed wedding. In fact, I'm both ashamed and proud that the LotR connection to the date never occurred to me. It was my father-in-law-to-be that pointed it out.
      >
      > This is also a long way of saying I make no promises on being attending this event, but I'm happy to see it occur.
      > In the meantime, I will talk to the friendly staff at McClatchy library about reserving the upstairs room for one day a month. It would have to be either Wednesday evening or Saturday afternoon. They are not open on Sunday.
      > I promise you will all love the location, if it is available. It is a beautiful home on Poverty Ridge and close to Light Rail.

    • Ralph Montano
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 23, 2013
        Hello everyone,
        Here's an update on our group's last meeting.
        We all met up at Farrells on Sept. 22 for ice cream in celebration of Bagginses Birthdays!
        There were nine of us there in total but one person had to leave before we could be seated. But meeting outside was a good idea because we were able to get business done.
        And here is the business we did: So I've requested that a meeting room on the second floor of the Ella K. McClatchy Library be made available to us on the first Saturday of the month beginning in November from 3 to 5 p.m.
        We will see what they say to the request. The library supervisor, Debra Conlin, has been very nice and supportive in my discussion with her so far. I could not schedule a meeting there in October because they will be closed most of the month as the Friends of the Library re-finishes the floors in this beautiful building. I'm very excited about the prospect of meeting is such a beautiful setting. If you haven't been to McClatchy, you are in for a treat. Don't expect a big book selection because it was once a home. But do expect some beautiful window seats and a nice patio. It is a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon reading.
        Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself. We will see what they say.

        So that's one order of business. Here's the second: people would like to meet in October, but we are looking for a host. Is there anyone willing to have a Hobbit viewing party at their home sometime during the month of October? If so, speak up! I'm sure the rest of us are willing to bring something over to toast the host as well as supply a potluck.
        So step forward if you want to host an unexpected Hobbit viewing party at your home!

        Provided that we do get a place to meet in November, the plan is to return to a discussion of The Hobbit in anticipation of the next movie, which comes out in early December.
        So the reading assignment for those of you that need to start early, are from Chapter 7 (Queer Lodging) through Chapter 14 (Fire and Water). That is what I suspect will be covered in the next movie, but that is up for debate.

        That's all I have for this note, Tolkien fans.
        Ralph Montano
        self-appointed Full Circle Sacramento organizer

        PS. Oh wait, your probably wondering how the party at Farrells went? Well, the general consensus was the Bilbo would have had a grand time a Farrells! He would have embraced the loudness and the constant singing and dancing and running around by the staff.
        Frodo pretty much hated the place and would sooner go back to Mordor.
      • Sandra Fromm

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 23, 2013
            I wish I could but my house and LR are way too small and messy!!

            To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013

              There may be a theater (or two) showing the first Hobbit movie a few days before the  Desolation of Smaug comes out.  The theaters generally did that with the Lord of the Rings movies.  Just a thought, but we could keep an eye out.

              Elaine

            • Vicki Richards
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                I agree with Elaine about theaters.  Also the extended version of AUJ will be out sometime in Oct or Nov.  Usually they run it in the theater prior to release on DVD.  Might plan for that.

                Had a great time at Farrells.  Looking forward to book discussions at this wonderful library in Nov

                Vicki

                There may be a theater (or two) showing the first Hobbit movie a few days before the  Desolation of Smaug comes out.  The theaters generally did that with the Lord of the Rings movies.  Just a thought, but we could keep an eye out.

                Elaine

              • Nancy Becker
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                  Due out Nov 5.

                  And it is possible I might be able to host a viewing party at my house. I have a 55" HD TV, but not a lot of seating.

                  Sent from my iPhone because I can

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                    I just talked to the manager at the Regal cinemas in Natomas. They will not get a schedule time for replaying of AUJ until mid October. We can call then to see about movie screenings. I assume this is probably true at other local theaters. Since the second installment is still in editing  etc. they do not have the exact release date for the DofS and thus are waiting on that before planning showtimes for AUJ.
                    Randee

                    To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                    From: vs1richards@...
                    Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:51:38 -0700