Re: Ok Let's continue. Now what?

  • calafalas11
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 29, 2013
      A combination of different places/dates/times to meet, as well as focus of meetings, i.e. Lotr/Hobbit movie viewing, potlucks, book discussions etc. might work better for more people. We Hobbitses would be happy to host a movie night, but we live in Davis which probably would exclude a number of people, unless we can do a carpool kind of thingy. It would be great if we could do something to celebrate Bilbo and Frodo's birthday in September. Perhaps a picnic somewhere?

      --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

      > Thanks all for the input. I think this group should continue and I can commit to it.
      > So what are the next steps?
      > Some have suggested a potluck and a viewing of the 1st Hobbit movie. I'm not opposed to that, but I can't host.
      > We could try meeting for more book discussions at the Central library. I've been told by a librarian we can meet in the common area on the second floor and have discussions there. We also might consider moving to the McClatchy library (near lightrail). They have an upstairs meeting room with couches that is perfect for small groups.
      > Please weigh in.

    • Vicki Richards
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 30, 2013
        I am glad to hear the group will continue.  I live in Lincoln so also will not be able to host potluck or movie.

        As for celebrating Frodo and Bilbo's birthday on Sept 22 which is a Sunday, what about meeting at the new reopened Farrell's Ice Cream at Watt and Arden Way?  We wouldn't necessarialy have a book discussion but could discuss where we want to meet and a focus for this group.  Some have complained it is too college level, but I would like to continue reading Tolkien if all agree.

        Looking forward to meeting with all you Tolkien fans.

        Vicki

        Thanks all for the input. I think this group should continue and I can commit to it.
        So what are the next steps?
        Some have suggested a potluck and a viewing of the 1st Hobbit movie. I'm not opposed to that, but I can't host.
        We could try meeting for more book discussions at the Central library. I've been told by a librarian we can meet in the common area on the second floor and have discussions there. We also might consider moving to the McClatchy library (near lightrail). They have an upstairs meeting room with couches that is perfect for small groups.
        Please weigh in.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            FullCircleSacramento-digest@yahoogroups.com
            FullCircleSacramento-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Rebekah Vierow
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
          Hey Fellow Tolkien Readers!
             Yeah, now what? I really like Vicki's idea about celebrating Bilbo's & Frodo's birthdays on Sunday, the 22nd! And if not at Farrell's, then another restaurant. What a great way to begin the discussion group again!
             As far as the location for our discussion group, I can get to Central Library fairly easily. Carmichael Library entails a half mile walk for me but I'm okay with that. I haven't the foggiest idea where McClatchy Library is located but I guess I could google it.
             In regards to the time of meeting, I prefer afternoon, but not too late. The time slot 1-3 pm seems the best, since it has started getting dark earlier. But what do y'all think?
             Ralph, do you know how to do that survey thing we filled out back in January? Seems the easiest way to find out when everyone is available. Maybe Stephenee can help with that.
             Well, there's my two cents. Let me know what y'all decide.
          Looking forward to meeting!
          Rebekah
        • S Ferghus
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 4, 2013
            I also prefer afternoon but not too late (my idea of too late is just when the buses stop running, which is around 5 on Sundays and around 7/8 most other days depending on the bus route).

            Thanks to the hobbitses (sorry, I don't know your name[s]) for offering to host something in Davis, but speaking for myself, yes that would be difficult unless carpools were involved.

            It seems there's a desire for both serious discussions and social events.  I agree, why not both?  Celebrating Bagginses birthdays is a great idea, either a picnic or reasonably priced eatery.

            Here's some info on the McClatchy library, near 22nd and V:  http://www.saclibrary.org/Locations/Ella-K-McClatchy/  I haven't been there but it sounds delightfully quaint.

            Seya

          • Ralph Montano
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 4, 2013
              Farrell's Ice Cream at Watt and Arden Way.
              I will put this down for 1 p.m. if that is alright with everyone?
              Also, I will post this on the SacGeek webpage.
              FYI: Sept. 22 also happens to be the Equinox and the day I married my lovely wife! No, we did not have a hobbit themed wedding. In fact, I'm both ashamed and proud that the LotR connection to the date never occurred to me. It was my father-in-law-to-be that pointed it out.

              This is also a long way of saying I make no promises on being attending this event, but I'm happy to see it occur.
              In the meantime, I will talk to the friendly staff at McClatchy library about reserving the upstairs room for one day a month. It would have to be either Wednesday evening or Saturday afternoon. They are not open on Sunday.
              I promise you will all love the location, if it is available. It is a beautiful home on Poverty Ridge and close to Light Rail.
            • Sandra Fromm
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 4, 2013

                Hi, I didn't see anyone post the address for the McClatchy library, so here it is:

                Ella K. McClatchy

                2112 22nd Street, Sacramento, CA 95818

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Great, I'll calendar this.  Looking forward to it!

                  Seya
                • Vicki Richards
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 7, 2013
                    I will also be attending the Bagginess Birthday party at Farrell's.  Look forward to seeing all who will be able to attend.
                    If enough people come, let us try to determine where we want to meet from now on.  And when.  I liked Ralph's idea of the McClatchy Library and would be willing to meet there either Wed or Sat.  We can also plan on social events to be held elsewhere.  It is only 3 months and a few days to Desolation of Smaug, so would enjoy seeing AUJ again or maybe finish reading the Hobbit.

                    Vicki

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
                      Hello everybody,
                      And it turns out that my wife and I will attend this celebration as part of our 11th anniversary celebration.
                      Also, I went to McClatchy library and spoke with the supervisor, Debra Conlin. She is very excited about the idea of a book club meeting with regularity in her facility!
                      The big news there is that they are remodeling the floors in most of the library and will be closed for much of October to do so. But once November rolls around, they have four meeting rooms available on the second floor of this amazing Victorian home on Poverty Ridge!
                      I'd personally vote for meeting on the first or last Wednesday of the month. But a regular Saturday meeting will also work.
                      So let us discuss this further at our Birthday bash.
                      If someone wants to volunteer their home for a viewing of the Hobbit in October, we can talk about that too.
                      Oh, I also posted the ice cream gathering on the Sacgeek Meet Up page. The more the merrier!
                    • calafalas11
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
                        The Hobbit dude and I will attend the Bagginses Birthday Party. We also concur with the McClatchy library meeting place. Wednesday evening works better for us, but we'll see how it goes.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 23, 2013
                          Hello everyone,
                          Here's an update on our group's last meeting.
                          We all met up at Farrells on Sept. 22 for ice cream in celebration of Bagginses Birthdays!
                          There were nine of us there in total but one person had to leave before we could be seated. But meeting outside was a good idea because we were able to get business done.
                          And here is the business we did: So I've requested that a meeting room on the second floor of the Ella K. McClatchy Library be made available to us on the first Saturday of the month beginning in November from 3 to 5 p.m.
                          We will see what they say to the request. The library supervisor, Debra Conlin, has been very nice and supportive in my discussion with her so far. I could not schedule a meeting there in October because they will be closed most of the month as the Friends of the Library re-finishes the floors in this beautiful building. I'm very excited about the prospect of meeting is such a beautiful setting. If you haven't been to McClatchy, you are in for a treat. Don't expect a big book selection because it was once a home. But do expect some beautiful window seats and a nice patio. It is a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon reading.
                          Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself. We will see what they say.

                          So that's one order of business. Here's the second: people would like to meet in October, but we are looking for a host. Is there anyone willing to have a Hobbit viewing party at their home sometime during the month of October? If so, speak up! I'm sure the rest of us are willing to bring something over to toast the host as well as supply a potluck.
                          So step forward if you want to host an unexpected Hobbit viewing party at your home!

                          Provided that we do get a place to meet in November, the plan is to return to a discussion of The Hobbit in anticipation of the next movie, which comes out in early December.
                          So the reading assignment for those of you that need to start early, are from Chapter 7 (Queer Lodging) through Chapter 14 (Fire and Water). That is what I suspect will be covered in the next movie, but that is up for debate.

                          That's all I have for this note, Tolkien fans.
                          Ralph Montano
                          self-appointed Full Circle Sacramento organizer

                          PS. Oh wait, your probably wondering how the party at Farrells went? Well, the general consensus was the Bilbo would have had a grand time a Farrells! He would have embraced the loudness and the constant singing and dancing and running around by the staff.
                          Frodo pretty much hated the place and would sooner go back to Mordor.
                        • Sandra Fromm

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 23, 2013
                              I wish I could but my house and LR are way too small and messy!!

                              To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013

                                There may be a theater (or two) showing the first Hobbit movie a few days before the  Desolation of Smaug comes out.  The theaters generally did that with the Lord of the Rings movies.  Just a thought, but we could keep an eye out.

                                Elaine

                              • Vicki Richards
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                                  I agree with Elaine about theaters.  Also the extended version of AUJ will be out sometime in Oct or Nov.  Usually they run it in the theater prior to release on DVD.  Might plan for that.

                                  Had a great time at Farrells.  Looking forward to book discussions at this wonderful library in Nov

                                  Vicki

                                  There may be a theater (or two) showing the first Hobbit movie a few days before the  Desolation of Smaug comes out.  The theaters generally did that with the Lord of the Rings movies.  Just a thought, but we could keep an eye out.

                                  Elaine

                                • Nancy Becker
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                                    Due out Nov 5.

                                    And it is possible I might be able to host a viewing party at my house. I have a 55" HD TV, but not a lot of seating.

                                    Sent from my iPhone because I can

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                                      I just talked to the manager at the Regal cinemas in Natomas. They will not get a schedule time for replaying of AUJ until mid October. We can call then to see about movie screenings. I assume this is probably true at other local theaters. Since the second installment is still in editing  etc. they do not have the exact release date for the DofS and thus are waiting on that before planning showtimes for AUJ.
                                      Randee

                                      To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: vs1richards@...
                                      Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:51:38 -0700