RE: [FullCircleSacramento] Shall this group continue?

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2013
      Ralph...I was at the first two meetings. Then I let y'all know that I could not attend because of my husband's double knee replacement surgery and recuperation. While I enjoyed the group's discussions, I found that you guys were way more into LOR and The Hobbit than I was. Subsequently, in reading your emails and  your discussion topics, it felt to me like these meetings were going to be more like a college course with tests! Wayyy too serious. Perhaps it's time to end the group if people are done with discussing this topic.

      Randee

      To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
      From: remontano@...
      Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:49:57 +0000
      Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Shall this group continue?

      Hello everyone. Our last meeting had 2 people. The one before that was 3. Any suggestions to those not coming as to what could change this? I'm all ears. Thanks.

    • Vicki Richards
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
        I had a family situation so missed last meeting.  I will plan  on being there for all future meetings as the Tolkien book club is important to me.  As for low attendance, it might be due to summer and fall is around the corner so hopefully more people will be coming.
        How did meeting at the main library go;  if that worked maybe we should continue to meet there.

        Ralph, Thanks again for your service.

        Vicki

        Hello everyone. Our last meeting had 2 people. The one before that was 3. Any suggestions to those not coming as to what could change this? I'm all ears. Thanks.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            FullCircleSacramento-digest@yahoogroups.com
            FullCircleSacramento-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Rebekah Vierow
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 4, 2013
          Hey, Ralph & Full Circle Group,
             I know I haven't made it to any of the discussions yet. Every time I plan to come, something comes up.
             July 28th, I had too little notice in order to read the second half of the Fellowship book. June's meeting fell on one of the hottest days of the year & I have to ride the bus as well as walk a half mile to get to the Carmichael library. In April, my brother visited & we had to get some stuff taken care of for our mother.
             I really do want to attend, but so far, no luck. I guess the adage: "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again" applies here.
             Pick a date, give us the reading assignment and discussion questions, and I will do my best to be there. I'm with Vicki on summer being a more difficult time to meet. Shall we try September for the next meeting?
             Btw, your discussion questions are very precise and thorough.. awesome job and kudos to you!
          Thanks for all your effort,
          Rebekah
        • Ralph Montano
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 13, 2013
            Thanks for your input Rebekah.
            That is two people. Anybody else?
            I could have sworn this group has about 100 members. Are there any more out there willing to gather?
            Here's a question: When is a group too small and we should give it up for dead?
            I would be happy with five people. If we can get five people committed I'd would say, yes let's keep it going.
            Are there two more out there?
          • calafalas11
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 14, 2013
              We hobbitses are interested in continuing with the group. Our summer has been jam packed and we've been unable to attend. Our schedule should lighten up end of Sept. It would also be nice to have some less scholarly meetings such as LOTR/Hobbit movie viewings, pot lucks, etc.

              --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your input Rebekah.
              > That is two people. Anybody else?
              > I could have sworn this group has about 100 members. Are there any more out there willing to gather?
              > Here's a question: When is a group too small and we should give it up for dead?
              > I would be happy with five people. If we can get five people committed I'd would say, yes let's keep it going.
              > Are there two more out there?

            • thisisthealiasofseya
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 17, 2013
                Sorry for the delayed reply, Ralph. I would love for the group to continue. I was only present at the April session but I really enjoyed it.
                Like somebody else mentioned, I found the Carmichael library very difficult to access via public transport; that month I missed the bus and wasn't willing to wait another hour in 100+ F heat for the next one. As for the one at the Central library, I'm afraid I just spaced it, partly because I was not fully in the loop (I only now just managed to sign up for yahoo groups...it was not the most patience-inducing process).
                If we can get enough people to commit for sure, can we talk about finding a location that's central to everyone if possible?

                Cheers,
                Seya

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 28, 2013
                  Thanks all for the input. I think this group should continue and I can commit to it.
                  So what are the next steps?
                  Some have suggested a potluck and a viewing of the 1st Hobbit movie. I'm not opposed to that, but I can't host.
                  We could try meeting for more book discussions at the Central library. I've been told by a librarian we can meet in the common area on the second floor and have discussions there. We also might consider moving to the McClatchy library (near lightrail). They have an upstairs meeting room with couches that is perfect for small groups.
                  Please weigh in.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 28, 2013
                    Central or McClatchy sounds good to me. McClatchy is open Wed. till 8pm and Sat. from 10-5.
                    Central is open Sundays 12-5. Tues till 8pm.
                    Randee

                    To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 29, 2013
                      (I'm trying to respond to this directly from my email inbox, which it seems to tell me I can do...hope it goes through properly).

                      Personally I'd much prefer the McClatchy library, as it sounds much cozier.  I have to admit to not being a fan of the looming/impersonal atmosphere of Central.

                      Out of curiosity, did the group previously decide to nix meeting at places like Coffee Garden?  That was quite nice.

                      - Seya
                    • calafalas11
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 29, 2013
                        A combination of different places/dates/times to meet, as well as focus of meetings, i.e. Lotr/Hobbit movie viewing, potlucks, book discussions etc. might work better for more people. We Hobbitses would be happy to host a movie night, but we live in Davis which probably would exclude a number of people, unless we can do a carpool kind of thingy. It would be great if we could do something to celebrate Bilbo and Frodo's birthday in September. Perhaps a picnic somewhere?

                        --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks all for the input. I think this group should continue and I can commit to it.
                        > So what are the next steps?
                        > Some have suggested a potluck and a viewing of the 1st Hobbit movie. I'm not opposed to that, but I can't host.
                        > We could try meeting for more book discussions at the Central library. I've been told by a librarian we can meet in the common area on the second floor and have discussions there. We also might consider moving to the McClatchy library (near lightrail). They have an upstairs meeting room with couches that is perfect for small groups.
                        > Please weigh in.

                      • Vicki Richards
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 30, 2013
                          I am glad to hear the group will continue.  I live in Lincoln so also will not be able to host potluck or movie.

                          As for celebrating Frodo and Bilbo's birthday on Sept 22 which is a Sunday, what about meeting at the new reopened Farrell's Ice Cream at Watt and Arden Way?  We wouldn't necessarialy have a book discussion but could discuss where we want to meet and a focus for this group.  Some have complained it is too college level, but I would like to continue reading Tolkien if all agree.

                          Looking forward to meeting with all you Tolkien fans.

                          Vicki

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
                            Hey Fellow Tolkien Readers!
                               Yeah, now what? I really like Vicki's idea about celebrating Bilbo's & Frodo's birthdays on Sunday, the 22nd! And if not at Farrell's, then another restaurant. What a great way to begin the discussion group again!
                               As far as the location for our discussion group, I can get to Central Library fairly easily. Carmichael Library entails a half mile walk for me but I'm okay with that. I haven't the foggiest idea where McClatchy Library is located but I guess I could google it.
                               In regards to the time of meeting, I prefer afternoon, but not too late. The time slot 1-3 pm seems the best, since it has started getting dark earlier. But what do y'all think?
                               Ralph, do you know how to do that survey thing we filled out back in January? Seems the easiest way to find out when everyone is available. Maybe Stephenee can help with that.
                               Well, there's my two cents. Let me know what y'all decide.
                            Looking forward to meeting!
                            Rebekah
                          • S Ferghus
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 4, 2013
                              I also prefer afternoon but not too late (my idea of too late is just when the buses stop running, which is around 5 on Sundays and around 7/8 most other days depending on the bus route).

                              Thanks to the hobbitses (sorry, I don't know your name[s]) for offering to host something in Davis, but speaking for myself, yes that would be difficult unless carpools were involved.

                              It seems there's a desire for both serious discussions and social events.  I agree, why not both?  Celebrating Bagginses birthdays is a great idea, either a picnic or reasonably priced eatery.

                              Here's some info on the McClatchy library, near 22nd and V:  http://www.saclibrary.org/Locations/Ella-K-McClatchy/  I haven't been there but it sounds delightfully quaint.

                              Seya

                            • Ralph Montano
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 4, 2013
                                Farrell's Ice Cream at Watt and Arden Way.
                                I will put this down for 1 p.m. if that is alright with everyone?
                                Also, I will post this on the SacGeek webpage.
                                FYI: Sept. 22 also happens to be the Equinox and the day I married my lovely wife! No, we did not have a hobbit themed wedding. In fact, I'm both ashamed and proud that the LotR connection to the date never occurred to me. It was my father-in-law-to-be that pointed it out.

                                This is also a long way of saying I make no promises on being attending this event, but I'm happy to see it occur.
                                In the meantime, I will talk to the friendly staff at McClatchy library about reserving the upstairs room for one day a month. It would have to be either Wednesday evening or Saturday afternoon. They are not open on Sunday.
                                I promise you will all love the location, if it is available. It is a beautiful home on Poverty Ridge and close to Light Rail.
                              • Sandra Fromm
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 4, 2013

                                  Hi, I didn't see anyone post the address for the McClatchy library, so here it is:

                                  Ella K. McClatchy

                                  2112 22nd Street, Sacramento, CA 95818

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 5, 2013
                                    Great, I'll calendar this.  Looking forward to it!

                                    Seya
                                  • Vicki Richards
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 7, 2013
                                      I will also be attending the Bagginess Birthday party at Farrell's.  Look forward to seeing all who will be able to attend.
                                      If enough people come, let us try to determine where we want to meet from now on.  And when.  I liked Ralph's idea of the McClatchy Library and would be willing to meet there either Wed or Sat.  We can also plan on social events to be held elsewhere.  It is only 3 months and a few days to Desolation of Smaug, so would enjoy seeing AUJ again or maybe finish reading the Hobbit.

                                      Vicki

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
                                        Hello everybody,
                                        And it turns out that my wife and I will attend this celebration as part of our 11th anniversary celebration.
                                        Also, I went to McClatchy library and spoke with the supervisor, Debra Conlin. She is very excited about the idea of a book club meeting with regularity in her facility!
                                        The big news there is that they are remodeling the floors in most of the library and will be closed for much of October to do so. But once November rolls around, they have four meeting rooms available on the second floor of this amazing Victorian home on Poverty Ridge!
                                        I'd personally vote for meeting on the first or last Wednesday of the month. But a regular Saturday meeting will also work.
                                        So let us discuss this further at our Birthday bash.
                                        If someone wants to volunteer their home for a viewing of the Hobbit in October, we can talk about that too.
                                        Oh, I also posted the ice cream gathering on the Sacgeek Meet Up page. The more the merrier!
                                      • calafalas11
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
                                          The Hobbit dude and I will attend the Bagginses Birthday Party. We also concur with the McClatchy library meeting place. Wednesday evening works better for us, but we'll see how it goes.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 23, 2013
                                            Hello everyone,
                                            Here's an update on our group's last meeting.
                                            We all met up at Farrells on Sept. 22 for ice cream in celebration of Bagginses Birthdays!
                                            There were nine of us there in total but one person had to leave before we could be seated. But meeting outside was a good idea because we were able to get business done.
                                            And here is the business we did: So I've requested that a meeting room on the second floor of the Ella K. McClatchy Library be made available to us on the first Saturday of the month beginning in November from 3 to 5 p.m.
                                            We will see what they say to the request. The library supervisor, Debra Conlin, has been very nice and supportive in my discussion with her so far. I could not schedule a meeting there in October because they will be closed most of the month as the Friends of the Library re-finishes the floors in this beautiful building. I'm very excited about the prospect of meeting is such a beautiful setting. If you haven't been to McClatchy, you are in for a treat. Don't expect a big book selection because it was once a home. But do expect some beautiful window seats and a nice patio. It is a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon reading.
                                            Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself. We will see what they say.

                                            So that's one order of business. Here's the second: people would like to meet in October, but we are looking for a host. Is there anyone willing to have a Hobbit viewing party at their home sometime during the month of October? If so, speak up! I'm sure the rest of us are willing to bring something over to toast the host as well as supply a potluck.
                                            So step forward if you want to host an unexpected Hobbit viewing party at your home!

                                            Provided that we do get a place to meet in November, the plan is to return to a discussion of The Hobbit in anticipation of the next movie, which comes out in early December.
                                            So the reading assignment for those of you that need to start early, are from Chapter 7 (Queer Lodging) through Chapter 14 (Fire and Water). That is what I suspect will be covered in the next movie, but that is up for debate.

                                            That's all I have for this note, Tolkien fans.
                                            Ralph Montano
                                            self-appointed Full Circle Sacramento organizer

                                            PS. Oh wait, your probably wondering how the party at Farrells went? Well, the general consensus was the Bilbo would have had a grand time a Farrells! He would have embraced the loudness and the constant singing and dancing and running around by the staff.
                                            Frodo pretty much hated the place and would sooner go back to Mordor.
                                          • Sandra Fromm

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 23, 2013
                                                I wish I could but my house and LR are way too small and messy!!

                                                To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013

                                                  There may be a theater (or two) showing the first Hobbit movie a few days before the  Desolation of Smaug comes out.  The theaters generally did that with the Lord of the Rings movies.  Just a thought, but we could keep an eye out.

                                                  Elaine

                                                • Vicki Richards
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                                                    I agree with Elaine about theaters.  Also the extended version of AUJ will be out sometime in Oct or Nov.  Usually they run it in the theater prior to release on DVD.  Might plan for that.

                                                    Had a great time at Farrells.  Looking forward to book discussions at this wonderful library in Nov

                                                    Vicki

                                                    There may be a theater (or two) showing the first Hobbit movie a few days before the  Desolation of Smaug comes out.  The theaters generally did that with the Lord of the Rings movies.  Just a thought, but we could keep an eye out.

                                                    Elaine

                                                  • Nancy Becker
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                                                      Due out Nov 5.

                                                      And it is possible I might be able to host a viewing party at my house. I have a 55" HD TV, but not a lot of seating.

                                                      Sent from my iPhone because I can

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 24, 2013
                                                        I just talked to the manager at the Regal cinemas in Natomas. They will not get a schedule time for replaying of AUJ until mid October. We can call then to see about movie screenings. I assume this is probably true at other local theaters. Since the second installment is still in editing  etc. they do not have the exact release date for the DofS and thus are waiting on that before planning showtimes for AUJ.
                                                        Randee

                                                        To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                                                        From: vs1richards@...
                                                        Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:51:38 -0700